Teaching Focus - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Master Member

Re: Hey Bama Lorne

I just don't know. I'm so frustrasted with them. At least I've learned a lot from here. He might be too much dog, but he does listen to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

will_and_jamie, tell your trainer they aren't enough trainer for you and your dog. LOL for $800 or less I would have you and your dog on the same page.

First it is a good thing that you dog listens to you. Have you tried the NILF program, that will help establish alpha and pack order.

Some times a change in mind set helps. Don't thake this wrong, be he is a dog, not a baby or a little person. Dogs need structure, they need a firm but fair leader.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #53 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:56 AM

I would offer a couple of comments. The watch me command is the most import you dog will learn. Moreover once your dog learns the act by command they will also learn to look into your eyes for all direction. The ability and willingness of the dog to look to you for direction, and to relax and wait patiently for your direction are fundamental.

The method described above is perfect I would only add that this is a very good time to apply clicker training. The clicker than can become the reward rather than food. Also the idea of baiting with food did not produce the results I wanted initially because I stayed with it too long. The clicker however was powerful, but even this is no longer needed.

The other suggestion expecially if the food reward is not motivating enough is either you need a different treat (high protein recommeded) or your feeding too much. During training cut back the daily feeding a little so the dog is somewhat hungry during workout. Also when you do feed have the dog wait (I prefer a sit) and look you in the eyes before being rewarded. Make sure your dog holds the watch unbroken at first for 5 bananna, and finally for 10.

Has worked wonders for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Crowned Member

Everything seems to be falling apart with adolesence here.. sigh. He doesn't wanna focus, and is sooo distractable!n Any good books on focus?

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #55 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BrightelfEverything seems to be falling apart with adolesence here.. sigh. He doesn't wanna focus, and is sooo distractable!n Any good books on focus?
Janice Demello has a series on focus. I went to one of her seminars years ago and she is amazing! Her system is very step-by-step and takes ~ 2 months, if you follow her plan exactly.

I googled her name & got this: Janice DeMello Products and Services
Tele (Kate Nehring): (805)386-4533
Here is the website - you can get the email link if you're interested
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/body_links_1.html

To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.
post #56 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 PM

I fully support books and video's and it will take a lot of time and work. My trainer Laurie of Wags & Wiggles that gave me and Mercedes a complex list exercises that built up day over day to include distractions and distance. The exercise was a two week list of drills and was as much an aerobic workout for me as an attention workout for the dog. The key however was an hour and half private lesson. I needed to be corrected in some things I was doing with my behaviors including baiting the response. I recommend a trainer in your area that dose well with this. I know this sounds crazy but a trainer that teaches Flyball and Agility should do because the dog needs to focus on both the task and the handler.
post #57 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 04:28 PM

started teaching focus recently. started with my arms far apart and used the word "good" when eye contact was made. once sasha was looking at my eyes rather than my hands i lowered my hand to my sides, and started giving treats to reward the eye contact and changed the supportive command to "good watch". now were at the point where if she is standing infront of me, and i say watch, she will make and keep eye contact for a few seconds.

now whats the next step, how such i be increasing the time they keep eye contact? by not saying "good watch" untill she has kept eye contact for 5-10-15 seconds, or constantly saying it? how do i progress then to the focus while she is at heel

Sasha - 10 months old

"Dear Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am, failing that, make everybody think like my dog"
post #58 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 AM

anybody?

Sasha - 10 months old

"Dear Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am, failing that, make everybody think like my dog"
post #59 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 AM
Crowned Member

Russ, I'm with you.. I love this thread! And, I'd like to hear the progressive steps to getting this focus to happen while in motion! I sure hope Bama Lorne or someone else responds with some helpful step-by-step. So far, I have increased the length of time, and gotten a nice looooonnnng solid focus from Grimm, and, have even managed to get this focus outdoors, too, provided the snack reward is there and the distractions aren't too over-the-top. In motion, I only seem to be able to get a quick peek focus while heeling.. want a longer focus while in motion.

Anybody got the nice step-by-step for transforming a beginner in focus to one who holds it through motion?

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #60 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:13 PM

snap brightelf. infact, ur probably infront of me becuase, outside, i might aswell not exist

Sasha - 10 months old

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page