Teaching Focus - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Hey Bama Lorne

I think they might go away if they don't have activity from time to time and this is a great thread!!!

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

What is most challenging, depending on the dog, is teaching focus when there are distractions. Initally, it won't take much to distract some dogs.

If the dog is a rescue, it's possible that this is the most difficult thing to teach because eye contact in their previous life may have brought on bad things. For example, "watch me" was one of the most difficult commands for my GSD to learn. I had to spit cashews from my mouth at him because he was the king of the "side glance", so he didn't have to look you in the eye.

Companion thread:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/ubbthread...p;page=0#786290

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

I love it. I have been working on these Focus suggestions since the thread started. Now to put it to use tonight at class!

On a down/stay Buddy flops over to sniff the floor mat and is not watching me. When the instructor tells us to Sit our dog with or without voice command I have to wave my arms (behind the teacher's back and she usually catches me) to get Buddy's attention Yoo hoo LOL Very embarrassing, on our 3 yr of class! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/04_redface.gif[/img]

~Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP My beautiful Brindy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:05 AM

Bama, I love the pix. You have really captured the focus so well. Your dog is just oozing concentration on your daughter. You must be very proud of them both.
post #15 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bama, I love the pix. You have really captured the focus so well. Your dog is just oozing concentration on your daughter. You must be very proud of them both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that! Good job! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/18_thumb.gif[/img]
post #16 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 02:13 AM

Thank you all for the nice comments.

Check out the focus in this video.

This is my daughter during her BH routine at our club trial. She got a standing ovation as she came back for the critique. The judge and all the spectators were quite impressed. I think she is really doing well! (PROUD DAD [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img])

Gabby & Olex BH

-- Bama Lorne

Well I wouldn't trade my life for diamonds or jewels
I never was one of them money hungry fools
I'd rather have my fiddle and my farmin' tools
Thank God I'm a country boy
post #17 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 02:16 AM
Crowned Member

VERY impressive! Way to go Gabby! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/18_thumb.gif[/img]

Kimberely

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
post #18 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Crowned Member

[ QUOTE ]
I think she is really doing well! (PROUD DAD )

[/ QUOTE ]

From the little bit of the video you posted.. She did a FANTASTIC job!! She looks like a pro.. better then some of the adult routines you see.

G-burg [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img]

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #19 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Crowned Member

OUTSTANDING!!! You need to post more pictures of your daughter and her accomplishments.. I agree with Leesa.. her performance is a lot better than a lot of adults I have watched. Kudos Gaby!!

~Lynn~
Dante v. Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Merlin v. Vereinigte Stolz, BH (HOT)
Laos v. Hnxer Wald
post #20 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Knighted Member

Wow, impressive, Good job Gaby!!!! Jayda (so far) really has amazing focus for being only 4 months old. She will just stare at me. I put her food down and she stares at me until she gets her release. I've gotten a quite a few compliments on her focus. Now the tough part to is continue and retain that with her. Any tips on retaining that as she gets older? She has to "watch" before she eats, to get a treat, before she goes outside. Any other suggestions?

Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page