Year old barking at every sound in the house - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Year old barking at every sound in the house

Jupiter's barking is really starting to get on my nerves. I spend most of my day in my office (where I also sleep and so does he). It's gotten to the point that whenever anyone calls in the house, he starts barking. If someone comes into my office, he starts barking. If I'm reading in the loft bed and someone comes up to talk to me, he'll start barking. Also, when I use the restroom (of course he has to follow me), whenever I reach for the toilet paper, he starts barking.

I am sensitive to noise, and it's starting to bother me.

He does know a "speak" command, but it's never seemed to help him be quiet.

I have a spray bottle which I can threaten him with, and that sort of works.

I have tried calling him and giving him a treat, and that helps.

Overall, though, it's getting much worse. Over the past two months, he just gets barkier and barkier. It's really obnoxious! Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:02 PM
Master Member

If he's barking and you get him to stop by calling him and giving him a treat, I think that would encourage more barking

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:07 PM
Master Member

e collar with the proper training for the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:24 PM

You taught speak,so also teach a quiet command.When my three get excited and can't obey my "Shush!" for more than a few seconds I'll put them in a down/stay until they chill.Giving them something else to do that is calm they can be rewarded for in a few minutes works pretty well.
Chuck94! likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
You taught speak,so also teach a quiet command.When my three get excited and can't obey my "Shush!" for more than a few seconds I'll put them in a down/stay until they chill.Giving them something else to do that is calm they can be rewarded for in a few minutes works pretty well.
Yup! Rollo has to go to his "place" and stay in a down until released...funny how that usually stops the barking lol

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

If he is bored, barking will get him some distraction. What does his and your normal day look like? What are your expectations for a dog? Honestly.
tc68 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Banned

Throw away the spray bottle. Stop calling him and treating him. Give him boundaries. No following you to the bathroom, no staying in your office when he is barking, and give him some mental stimulation during breaks. Also, the petzoom is still the second best thing I bought animal wise. Don’t even need to use it anymore, it’s worked for all 4 dogs, with no pain or issues.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

Depending on the dog, an electronic bark collar for harder headed dogs, a citronella collar for softer dogs.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

I don't like the citronella collars as the citronella spray keeps correcting the dog after the year stop. Sounds like a "teenage" dog that uses much more mental stimulation. Teach the dogs tricks with it's meals. GomtomLeerburg.com and read about marker training. When you take a break from working, work him for just five to ten minutes. Do that several times a day. And probably some good games of "2 toys" would help. Outside have two like toys and teach him to bring back the one you threw to get you too thow the other one.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Possibly he's bored. I take him out every morning to play fetch, do a walk-and-train at lunch, and sometimes play a bit more fetch or tug at night. But maybe he needs more. He's not a particularly energetic dog, for a GSD, but he sure is becoming barky.

As far as expectations, I expect him not to bark at every sound in the house. None of my other dogs have done that, but I have heard that GSDs are particularly "vocal" dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page