How to untrain and automatic out? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

How to untrain and automatic out?

So Floki does an automatic out whenever we touch an item he has, including tug toys we don’t want him to out. He will play tug with the dogs, but not with us. He will latch on and death shake and not out if it’s on a flirt pole, but we can take the same tug off, and he will chase it, bring it back, and automatically drop it, or out it if we touch it. We did not train him to do this. Is there a way to get him engaged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:35 AM
Crowned Member

That's an interesting one. Never had to deal with that. OK, a little brain storming here: maybe I would turn away and leave him as soon as he outs. Or play with the toy yourself and when he is hyped up, hold onto it when he grabs it and gently tug and praise him, let him have the toy. Teach him the command for 'out' in the meantime. Say it as soon as he opens his mouth. Then praise him for doing so. He will learn that he can out as soon as he hears the command. Is this the new dog? Maybe he is still too polite? In never use treats with these tug and fetch exercises as it will take the focus on the toy away. Keep us posted, I like to know what works.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:49 AM
Crowned Member

sounds like he is engaging with you by bringing it back for you to throw again? You need to create the same drive he has when it's on the flirt pole or you can teach him a hold command.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
That's an interesting one. Never had to deal with that. OK, a little brain storming here: maybe I would turn away and leave him as soon as he outs. Or play with the toy yourself and when he is hyped up, hold onto it when he grabs it and gently tug and praise him, let him have the toy. Teach him the command for 'out' in the meantime. Say it as soon as he opens his mouth. Then praise him for doing so. He will learn that he can out as soon as he hears the command. Is this the new dog? Maybe he is still too polite? In never use treats with these tug and fetch exercises as it will take the focus on the toy away. Keep us posted, I like to know what works.
Yes, this is the newest one. I swear he’s a cat. If I throw, and he grabs it, and I give a yes or good boy, he outs it immediately. He also will do an out when given the command if he has the kids shoe or something else he shouldn’t have. I just say out, and he outs no problem. We don’t train with treats for basic commands, he is into praise way more than treats. If I’m teaching him something a little more difficult, I’ll whip out the treat, otherwise, he gets praise (yes!) and a quick rundown (brief full body pet).

I may just suck at engaging. Lyka still does not play with a single toy to this day. I can make her, but she doesn’t enjoy it in the least, so I stopped. But Crios and Seiran have zero issues engaging. I’d ask my trainer, but he’s overseas doing some kind of training workshop.

Seiran knows the out command, and she outs when given the command, otherwise she will tug with us (before the poisoning, she’s still not 100%). He’s watched Seiran do it, but every single time we give praise or touch his tug, he outs it. I’ve taught plenty of outs, never had to unteach an out though!
@JAX08, he does engage with us, he’s a dream to train, picks up on things almost instantly, and you can see his brain turning while training and playing. It’s just this one thing, and he’s been like this day 1. I’ll look into training a hold, I know that’s what my ex did with his field labs so they didn’t maul a bird before returning it. I just never had any part in the training of those dogs because it was the ex’s thing. He has no problem mouth wise, he opens doors and cupboards with a paracord, so he understands pulling (tugging) to get those open. I’ll look up some hold videos now. Hopefully it can give me some pointers!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:57 AM
Crowned Member

I always like to look at training from a different perspective... Train the behavior you want. You're not untraining anything or training to stop something, you simply train a desired alternative. If you want him to tug teach him to tug. As another poster said, build some excitement, tease him with it and really get him amped up wanting it. Praise him for small steps in the right direction. If he learns quickly it shouldn't be too long before he understands and plays this "new" game well!

You can also teach a hold. But it sounds to me like that isn't really what you're after.
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I’ve tried a few different things this morning, with zero success. I’m going to try a rope in my hand with a tug on the end (sorta similar to the flirt pole) lure him to it, then slowly shorten the length of the rope.

Although there is no real reason why I want him to play tug, other than how fun it is with Seiran and Crios, maybe this is just one of those times I let him be the dog he wants to be and just play the way he likes to play with me.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not sure this will help but when I got Sabs the kids were still pretty little. She really liked to tug and I did not want her flinging a kid, so if the pressure was on her level or lower she would basically just stand and hold. In order to get her to tug you had to lift up a bit. So same game with two different non verbal cues. I didn't initially teach it, but I sure as heck rewarded her for doing it, just shaping a desired behavior.
You might try something similar? Maybe move away as he is approaching until he pushes into you? If he drops it just move away, I bet he follows you with it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Master Member

You need to teach him to tug by doing like others said, building excitement, take the toy or tog and tease it infront of his face, building that energy. I would work on the "drop it" command too. Rollo and I play tug, and I'll say "drop it" and then I pick it up and re-engage. The "drop it" command drives him mad, so he's ready to tug like crazy when we start playing again.

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck94! View Post
You need to teach him to tug by doing like others said, building excitement, take the toy or tog and tease it infront of his face, building that energy. I would work on the "drop it" command too. Rollo and I play tug, and I'll say "drop it" and then I pick it up and re-engage. The "drop it" command drives him mad, so he's ready to tug like crazy when we start playing again.
Ha, that’s half the problem. He can take it or leave it, makes no difference to him. If it’s in my hand, he will stay in a sit, but if it’s in my hand too long (all have squeezie inside them or crinkled plastic that makes noise) and I try to engage with the noise and excitement, he lays down like “ain’t no body got time for that.” Really, he’s a great dog otherwise, so I feel like maybe I’m pushing something that doesn’t need to be pushed. We work together on other activities without issue, I just don’t think he’s interested in toys as much as I’m used to Crios and Seiran being into them.
Chuck94! likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
maybe this is just one of those times I let him be the dog he wants to be and just play the way he likes to play with me.
That is exactly what you should do. Especially since he appears to have potential as an outstanding service dog, and quickly releasing an object he brings to you on request would be very important if he becomes your service dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page