Disabled trainer - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

@JonRob, that will be something I look into down the road if the surgery wasn’t successful. Right now, the more mobile I am, the better the results. So I’m as active as possible without pushing the limits. That’s why it’s handy to have the walker. If I overshoot my ability, I can sit with the walker until I can get back on my feet. Had to do it a few times trying to grocery shop the other day. DH was with me, so I wasn’t pushing the cart, but just the jarring feeling going up my spine had me pretty much knocked down.

We are looking into having thick pad and carpeting installed downstairs to make it easier on me, and we are building a temp fence around the pool this weekend so the dogs can only swim when we allow them to. That itself will make things much easier for me!
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:00 AM
Crowned Member

Do your dogs know how to train with a clicker? Try training with a target stick and clicker. Then you can "reach" farther and engage the dogs in a different way.

I've seen this work great for a mobility impaired person
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I haven't clicker trained a dog in years. It’s worth a try though! Jake is coming at noon today, so hopefully he has some experience with sitting and training that can help. And he’s bringing Leo, one of his older stable Mals so DH can see the difference between a well handled dog, and an ill handled dog. Plus Leo loves me, so I can “play” with him while DH and Jake are working with Floki. Lyka has been in love with him since day 1, so I’m sure she’ll be over the moon too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:00 AM

The kids are old enough to help train. They can be your "legs", maybe, while you recover?

I'd cut back to 3 dogs- I've found that is my happy number. Sorry to sound harsh, but Floki is brand new, and he can be adopted by someone who is interested in all he has to offer. I don't know if he has what it takes for protection sports, or even agility/dock diving etc. but Jake should be able to tell you.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
The kids are old enough to help train. They can be your "legs", maybe, while you recover?

I'd cut back to 3 dogs- I've found that is my happy number. Sorry to sound harsh, but Floki is brand new, and he can be adopted by someone who is interested in all he has to offer. I don't know if he has what it takes for protection sports, or even agility/dock diving etc. but Jake should be able to tell you.
It’s not harsh, it’s honesty, which I always appreciate. I’ve already found a home for Floki, DH’s deadline is Monday. First in, last out. Floki is less energetic than Crios, and easier to work with, but I’m not the type of person to rehome an adult to keep a pup. I also have someone willing to take Crios for a week or two to let me just be. I need to take him for a full health physical before I do that though. With the reverse sneezing going on, I don’t want to compromise a foster home with anything infectious. They did blood draws on all the dogs, so we should get results back next week, and then take him in for a deworming and a health cert to take to the foster with him. Then I can fully concentrate on recovery, and have two chill dogs to keep me company until we get Crios back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page