Dog barks at every sound in the house - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jchrest
  • 2 Post By Femfa
  • 1 Post By crittersitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Dog barks at every sound in the house

Jupiter is so barky, it's starting to get on my nerves.

We spend most of our time in my office. Whenever my wife or daughter calls me or each other, Jupiter barks. Whenever he hears the door to the bedroom open, he barks. Whenever my wife or daughter come into my office, he barks at them. He also barks whenever I get toilet paper from the roll (even though he's sitting right next there, because of course he has to follow me when I use the restroom).

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:14 PM
Master Member

Lyka barks a lot, but only inside if the doorbell rings or someone knocks. But outside, she would bark 24/7, and it started driving not only me crazy, but the neighbors as well. The only thing I found to work is controversial, so you can do your own research to see if this is something you would want to do.

It’s called petzoom. It’s a little rectangular controller, with one button on it. You hit the button, and it emits a high pitched sound that you cannot hear, but the dogs can. Some people say it works because it is causing pain in the animal, but Lyka has never shown pain with it, she just gives me the GSD head tilt. It instantly stops her barking, and I can redirect her with something at that point. But once she’s into her barking, it’s the only thing that will get her to refocus on me.

They sell it on amazon, I think it’s around 15-20 bucks, so not expensive. I actually bought 3, went to my neighbors, and gave them each one. Just so they could quiet her if I was at work. Once I did that, she really cut back a ton on her barking, because it was a “correction” she would get for barking, without me home. I feel like it taught her that barking was not acceptable, whether I was home or not. I use it very rarely now, but I’m generally home and can give her a verbal correction now because we’ve setup the guidelines with the petzoom. I only have to use it now if workers or landscapers go in our backyard, because they are invading her territory. I hit the button once to break her concentration on the backyard, call her to me, and she normally just lays at my feet until they are gone.
CactusWren likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 12:35 AM
Master Member

Dog barks at every sound in the house

Sounds really basic and silly, but honestly just positive praise and a “cut it out” command has started to work for us.

My girl is a power barker for specific things. If she hears the next door neighbour’s dogs out, she will launch herself from where she is and bark so loud and ferociously it terrifies people who aren’t used to it because she’ll plow anything over for the fight. She would gladly take out a window to try and fence fight them if she could. But with consistent “cut it out” reprimands and light corrections, and then TONS of praise for being good, she now just does this hilariously stupid “oOOoO” under her breath when she hears them and I tell her to cut it out. Then she cries a bit out of frustration and huffs here and there, but no more nutty barking anymore.

I used to think I’d need a bark collar for her, but nope. Just patience, consequence, and praise has worked for her. She is two now though, so I think the maturity has helped.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:35 PM

Sounds silly but what has worked for me is a can of coins. If the dogs start to bark in the house too much I tell them "cut". If they continue I shake a can of coins and they look at me like "OK" I guess you mean it and they shut up.
CactusWren likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:52 AM

You can use anti bark or no bark collar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page