How to get super recall? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

How to get super recall?

Jupiter is a mild-mannered dog for the most part, but one behavior is starting to cause problems: the chase and nip.

Basically, there are certain dogs at the dog park who like to run and be chased. Sometimes Jupiter will accommodate them. The only problem is, at the end of the chase, he tends to nip their back, hard enough to get a yelp. He has done this probably three times in five months of regular dog park attendance. First, it's not nice, and second, people don't give him any benefit of the doubt because GSD. On two occasions, this has caused the dogs to be permanently afraid of him, and fearful in general. And that causes them to run from him, which is the thing that causes him to chase in the first place.

So what I'd like is the ability to call him back when he starts chasing. I don't have a problem being watchful, but once he's on the chase, sometimes he will ignore me.

Is this a realistic desire? And if so, how would I do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:12 PM

I'm sure more experienced trainers will answer, but I would say first of all start on a leash.
I know the point of going to a dog park is to let them run free but it will be much easier to correct him for chasing if he's tethered to you. If he starts to chase, hold him back, get him to look at you (that might take practice), and reward him when he is not focused on trying to chase another dog.

That would be for training him out of the chase, not necessarily for good recall.
But for good recall you want to start away from the park. Inside even. I can't think of any good videos off the top of my head but there are tons of great resources for training a good recall! It's all about getting the dog to trust you and enjoy coming back when you call him.

POSITIVE reinforcement! Don't make the dog come back to you out of fear. He's more likely to want to return to you if he knows he'll get something good out of it. Use a Strong, Specific whistle to signify "come back right now!"
I cant make whistle noises with my mouth so I use a blow whistle with my dogs. It's louder and more effective than just calling their name.

Name: Dinah
GSD: Gaia, White Shep of unknown lineage

I'm always looking for new training advice and sturdier toys! ^^
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:14 PM

Also what is your level of experience in training?

Because I realize that helps a lot for someone giving advice! That way we wont be too broad or too basic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Gaia, thanks for your reply. I have taken Jupiter to Puppy Obedience, Obedience I, and Obedience II, at all4paws training, which is a reputable place here in Tempe, and I train him every day with his kibble. He is excellent in class and in the kitchen, but unfortunately, I have not done a good job of extending that outside the house, where he only listens to me if there's nothing else going on. He is an independent-minded (stubborn) dog and is very food-oriented.

Lately, I have been making an extra effort to keep drilling recall, and have started interspersing "come" during walks and randomly throughout the day, but the dog park is a whole other level of stimulation. Once in a while, he's broken off pursuit at my call, but other times, he has ignored me.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Ah okay, excellent! It sounds like he has a really good foundation.

I'm going to leave it up to a more experienced trainer to give you specific advice, but I can give a couple tips!
I know it's good to introduce distractions at each level of training (i.e. teach recall in 1 room and then introduce distraction, teach recall in the yard then introduce distraction, teach recall on walk then.. etc, etc)

But like you said, the dog park is a whole other level!
I saw your other post in the aggression forum about him, and I think I would agree it might be time for him to keep away from the dog park. At least while you're trying to train a new behavior. Because any progress that he makes in dealing with distractions is going to be undone if he can get away with disobeying while he's at the park.
CactusWren likes this.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:31 AM
Elite Member

Lots of rewarding recalls, rinse and repeat, proof with an E collar or keep him on a long line. Chasing and playing with other dogs at the dog park, good luck with a young dog.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 AM

What ausland said ^^^^.The chase and nip thing is very possibly a herding behavior.My Samson will try to do this whenever we have a summer gathering/BBQ.He doesn't nip but he will chase and circle any humans or dogs that want to break off from the loosely arranged group.He's sure he knows best how to keep a group organizedI either keep him next to me or indoors if I'm otherwise occupied.
Your Jupiter may always feel he needs to control those other dogs so practice,practice,practice until it's ingrained that recalling is not optional.
CactusWren likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:28 PM

I know a dog that has done this. Once he got there, it's a rough nip then he circles barking. He tore skin on a dog enough for stitches which his owner paid for.

I think the real trick for this would be to catch him before he does it as well as having a solid recall or maybe an emergency down. There is more than likely a subtle queue he's giving off before he gives chase that you don't quite recognize. Practice at home, in your yard, then in increasingly distracting environments before the dog park.

However...for liability reasons, I would try to find an alternate way to entertain and exercise your pup. Since adding a third, I take mine to an open field and play with them - flirt pole, fetch/Frisbee or let them chase each other. I know it might not be realistic for some people, but it's a better alternative than your dog being labelled an aggressive/dangerous dog.
CactusWren likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, Jupiter has already been labeled by the kind denizens of the dog park. It seems to be coming to a head. A lady who I thought was a friend joked that he needed a muzzle--this because he's nipped three dogs in approximately four months. Meanwhile I overhear someone outside the park saying, "it's that black one I'm worried about," apparently speaking loud enough to be heard twenty feet ahead. And one of the guys whose dog got nipped, whose dog is an aggressive-playing terrier, told someone else that he was afraid of Jupiter because he hadn't been neutered yet.

Meanwhile, a husky is circling around like a madman, nipping multiple dogs and rolling them in the dirt, and no one seems to think it out of the ordinary. A weimeraner that attacked Jupiter unprovoked once and has drawn blood on other dogs gets little criticism. A fluffy white mutt that continually attacks a Dane that had heart surgery and barks and snaps at everyone gets a pass. And the Dane himself had chased and nipped the dog before Jupiter did it, but no one holds it accountable.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is a GSD thing!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:00 PM

I definitely understand the frustration of being unpopular at the dog park 😒

For a time I lived in an apartment that had a private dog park right outside my front door. It was the best and most convenient way for me to exercise the dogs. But a lot of the other dog owners had smaller breeds or breeds with smaller teeth, and there was only 1 fence, no separate space for smaller dogs! And they didnt seem to understand that the chase and nip is a herding behavior, not an aggressive behavior.

It got to where I would only take them out when no one else was in the park.

Now I live in another city and I go to the DP here every once in a while. There seems to be a close knit community of regulars. But for some reason they think it's okay to bring all of their little tiny dogs into the big dog enclosure! There are two fences! Their little dogs were getting scared of my giant dogs and the owners were acting like it was my dogs' (or somehow my own) fault!! Take them to the small dog fence, they're separated for a reason!! 😤

Anyway! You cant expect everyone at a dog park to understand dog behavior and body language (I wish you could, but this just isnt the case!)
Work on his recall and on minimizing the chase behavior and maybe find a few good friends for him and schedule play dates with them! And if he's going to continue going to a dog park he really needs to be neutered. It's just a fight waiting to happen if he isnt. (Another thing that bothered me about the apt I lived at! So many intact dogs and no regard for the rules!)
CactusWren likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in