Leerburg has a DVD, Obedience Training for the Small Dog

Obedience Training for the Small Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:19 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I am trying to help someone train a Shih Tzu puppy long distance that has almost no drive at all. She isnít food or toy motivated, but I saw a video of her following the owner, with a lot of praise. I was told that extreme praise is not a good idea, and that praise as a reward should be calm and positive but not squealy and over the top because the dog will eventually stop responding. I suggested they only train with food when the puppy is hungry. I also said to try a flirt pole, but wasnít able to explain how to use it in a way they understood.. Iím not close enough for hands on training. How can a dog not be motivated by anything? They want to train her but donít know how or where and I have no experience with tiny dogs. Can anyone help?
You know I'm not a trainer, but if the pup is willingly following the owner because the pup loves their happy squealy praise, why not expand on that, and try teaching,the sit, etc with it. Or pair it with a treat. Work with what the pup does respond to until it doesn't.

It also sounds like the owner may need to get past their own preconceived ideas of what will and won't work for their pup so they are hesitant to try. Maybe reassure them that trying new ways is fun and any interaction is what the pup wants anyways. And even if they goof up with the method, it's an adventure of discovery between them and their pup.

I had more fun and laughs with my boy trying to get the timing right with a clicker. Someone else would have gotten frustrated, I just found it funny watching my guys expression. Gave it up cause it didn't work for us but it wasn't a negative experience.

Just something I thought of that may help.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkirk View Post
Leerburg has a DVD, Obedience Training for the Small Dog

Obedience Training for the Small Dog
I will tell them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
You know I'm not a trainer, but if the pup is willingly following the owner because the pup loves their happy squealy praise, why not expand on that, and try teaching,the sit, etc with it. Or pair it with a treat. Work with what the pup does respond to until it doesn't.

It also sounds like the owner may need to get past their own preconceived ideas of what will and won't work for their pup so they are hesitant to try. Maybe reassure them that trying new ways is fun and any interaction is what the pup wants anyways. And even if they goof up with the method, it's an adventure of discovery between them and their pup.

I had more fun and laughs with my boy trying to get the timing right with a clicker. Someone else would have gotten frustrated, I just found it funny watching my guys expression. Gave it up cause it didn't work for us but it wasn't a negative experience.

Just something I thought of that may help.
I will share that, then leave it up to them. Iím not going to put more energy into their dog than they are. Now I understand why we always run into little dogs that canít behave. The owners donít think they need to do much training.
Heartandsoul and Sabis mom like this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I will share that, then leave it up to them. Iím not going to put more energy into their dog than they are. Now I understand why we always run into little dogs that canít behave. The owners donít think they need to do much training.
Much easier to just pick them up and pet them saying "it alright snooky" lol. I'll confess that little dogs aren't my preferance and any dog to me past puppyhood looses the he/she is "so cute" description.

That said, I really do admire very well mannaored dogs no matter the breed. Somehow well mannered little dogs become very attractive in my eyes.

I hope the owner figures it out.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Much easier to just pick them up and pet them saying "it alright snooky" lol. I'll confess that little dogs aren't my preferance and any dog to me past puppyhood looses the he/she is "so cute" description.

That said, I really do admire very well mannaored dogs no matter the breed. Somehow well mannered little dogs become very attractive in my eyes.

I hope the owner figures it out.
I also prefer well trained dogs. Over the years, the worst annoyances have been loose little dogs. I haven’t had a single GSD that has not been charged or attacked by small dogs, like under 10 lbs, and ever time the owners blamed my bigger dog. My first German Shepherd was attacked by three small dogs. During the attack while I was trying to calm my dog, the owner told me off for having a leashed dog at a baseball field, when his were running free. One came at my dog from the front, another from the side and the third from the back. The owner said they had to protect themselves against a big puppy. They were terriers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page