Young male and females in heat - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Young male and females in heat

So I found out the other day that Dean (a year old, not neutered because he is going to be a show dog) Acts like a total butt face when faced with a female in heat.
How did I find this out you may ask?
Funny story.
We took a nice walk to a local park. He was doing great until we got near the park and he started paying extra attention to spots on the ground. Sniffing, licking, teeth chattering. So I knew it was a female dog pee (He does the zone out sniff and lick with my fixed female bull dog at home *Eye roll*). We were down by the water when I notice a guy walking a bully breed mix our way. I put Dean into a down, and he he is good. Until they get right next to us, and Dean gets a whiff of her. Suddenly he starts this high pitched screaming, and pitching a fit. I get him to keep his down, but he is so loud, and he is arguing with me about having to keep his down, in between his high pitched screams. The poor guy with the bully mix says "sorry, she's in heat, and practically runs away. His dog acted perfectly fine, and super well behaved of course.
Did I mention the park is full of guys either heading out to fish, or fishing already?
They are all staring at me like I am killing my dog. I was so embarrassed.
So I have my sister who has an unspayed female bull terrier, sending me some scent pads the next time she is in heat. My question is how exactly can I use these to train my little butt head. Do I just have them where he can smell them and train him around them, or do I get him to leave them? Or? It's been forever since I've had a male dog, and that was a Yorkie. If he got sassy I just picked him up and carted him off lol
Attached Images

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:17 AM
Knighted Member

Seriously, you want to teach your dog to somehow ignore his nature? Good luck with that! That your dog held his position, in spite of anything else he was feeling and smelling is a HUGE victory and a HUGE compliment to his training!

Lighten up, and celebrate the fact that he held, in spite of what nature was telling him was much more important! Some dogs will get beyond that with age, and others never will...

It's similar to asking how to make a dog act like a cat, or a horse. Some will with enough training, and others will never do it no matter what you do!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Seriously, you want to teach your dog to somehow ignore his nature? Good luck with that! That your dog held his position, in spite of anything else he was feeling and smelling is a HUGE victory and a HUGE compliment to his training!

Lighten up, and celebrate the fact that he held, in spite of what nature was telling him was much more important! Some dogs will get beyond that with age, and others never will...

It's similar to asking how to make a dog act like a cat, or a horse. Some will with enough training, and others will never do it no matter what you do!
Considering that he is going to be going to shows and dog sports where there are going to be females in heat, and I am going to need him to have some sort of manners. Yes. Yes I do want to teach him that he can't scream when he doesn't get to mount a female.
I know it can be done, I am asking for advice to make sure I do it right.
CometDog likes this.

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:45 AM
Master Member

OP.....I think that most knowledgeable people who have a clue which way the wind blows....will not bring their female in heat to any event where they may encounter intact males....the responsibility of doing the "right" thing lies with the owner of the female in heat not with you or any owner of an intact male......yes I know that here in the real world all you have to do is read many of the posts on any online forum ( pick a forum subject ) or just watch daily news to know that the world is full of clueless....inexperienced or just don't care folks....however I think you'll find MOST folks involved in the show ring won't bring a female in heat to a show......

I agree with Tim --you'll never teach an intact male to ignore a female in heat....it just won't happen....quickest way to get some "battle scars" or worse on a male...is drop a female in heat in the middle of a group of males....you never know what you may encounter in a park situation-- an owner may OR may not know their girl is in heat ( hard to believe-but true )...but most "show" folks will know better......
Datura likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 AM

I agree that show folks will not bring a female in heat out in public. For one thing, most females will blow their coats when they are in heat, so they aren't in the best condition anyway. Showing them would be a waste of time and money.
Datura likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:51 AM
Crowned Member

There are always bitches in season at dog shows. Working on focus exercises with distractions are important with good rewards. In nose work class females in heat were one of the distractions that were close by and there were mostly intact males in the classroom- tensions were high on those days but all the dogs powered through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:06 AM

Evidently things have changed since I was showing my dogs. Or perhaps these are different types of shows? It used to be understood that people would not bring females in heat to dog shows. Times change I suppose, and not always for the better.
Datura likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:08 AM

Whoa. There are ALWAYS bitches in heat at dog shows. Itís very common. At performance events, no. Conformation, yes. When you are showing a bitch, you have to take advantage of anytime your dog has coat. When mine are in heat, they usually blow their coat about 6 weeks before, and have already grown it back. You just need to warn the judge before they examine your dog (messiness). Also itís good manners to let others know around you.
lhczth, CometDog, Datura and 1 others like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:16 AM

Steel's sire is workable while around females in heat. My guess is he has been corrected enough times by the female (and possibly breeder) to know when the behavior is acceptable or not. Heck, my breeder didn't even know Steel's dam was in season (silent heat) until she found them tied behind the bushes. They hung out supervised for the whole day prior to the event with no signs from either partakers of the scandal.

Maybe a breeder that has a stud at their home could offer advice?

I wouldn't say the owner of the BIS was irresponsible to bring his bitch out, in season, to a public space...but it is not something I personally would do unless it were a controlled environment where they are allowed (say trial or show).
Datura likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 AM

Thanks dogfaeries for your post. Evidently, I need a refresher course in dog showing! Sorry for posting inaccurate information, and I appreciate your correction.
Datura likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page