Young male and females in heat - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:20 PM
Crowned Member

Lot of focus threads on this forum. Dogs who work in real life have to learn how to handle the call of the wild so do people who compete in shows and sports and people who have pets.
Datura likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone who understands.
I was giving him a correction and asking him for a focus and he was arguing with me every time.
I am going to certainly double down on his focus training. I've just been working him in the front yard, and not going to the park, until I can get a game plan in place, but I think if it's decent out tomorrow we will head down, and do some training. A lot of training lol
dogfaeries, Sabis mom and Kyrielle like this.

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:00 AM

Train, train, train, train. Get his obed solid. Then proof the heck out of it. Take him to all kinds of crazy places; be creative. But, be sure his obed is solid first, donít set him up to fail.

Draft friends and family into service to act as distractors for you. Have them bounce balls, throw Kongs, run around and act crazy, whatever is likely to get your boy to break his command. (I like to use a long down for this). One of my pet dog students got really into it and brought live chickens. Awesome.

You get the idea.

Once your boy is MOAB proof on his obed, biches in heat wonít matter. Neither will cats, squirrels, other loose dogs, screaming toddlers or UFOs landing. Even controlled environments are not 100% predictable. The Real World is 100% unpredictable. When your dog is rock solid on his obed, you have maximum control under any and all conditions.

This is why the focus work isnít helping right now. The underlying obed has to be more solid; he has to understand that attention to you is not an opt out thing.

Your story reminds me of a much loved, still intact intact male I had years ago when I brought a great working bitch over from Amsterdam. (Not for him). She was in heat when she got here. My male spent his free time mooning around outside her kennel. *But*, he never ignored me or a command. He was still totally manageable in the house, even if he may have preferred to be elsewhere.

Dogs should be taught to be neutral to other dogs they encounter out in the Big World. Itís the safest thing for all parties.
Sabis mom and Datura like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff View Post
Train, train, train, train. Get his obed solid. Then proof the heck out of it. Take him to all kinds of crazy places; be creative. But, be sure his obed is solid first, donít set him up to fail.

Draft friends and family into service to act as distractors for you. Have them bounce balls, throw Kongs, run around and act crazy, whatever is likely to get your boy to break his command. (I like to use a long down for this). One of my pet dog students got really into it and brought live chickens. Awesome.

You get the idea.

Once your boy is MOAB proof on his obed, biches in heat wonít matter. Neither will cats, squirrels, other loose dogs, screaming toddlers or UFOs landing. Even controlled environments are not 100% predictable. The Real World is 100% unpredictable. When your dog is rock solid on his obed, you have maximum control under any and all conditions.

This is why the focus work isnít helping right now. The underlying obed has to be more solid; he has to understand that attention to you is not an opt out thing.

Your story reminds me of a much loved, still intact intact male I had years ago when I brought a great working bitch over from Amsterdam. (Not for him). She was in heat when she got here. My male spent his free time mooning around outside her kennel. *But*, he never ignored me or a command. He was still totally manageable in the house, even if he may have preferred to be elsewhere.

Dogs should be taught to be neutral to other dogs they encounter out in the Big World. Itís the safest thing for all parties.
I admit our obedience work isn't as good as it should be. this winter was ****. Between the terrible weather and my health, we weren't able to leave the house much, even to get in the yard. We did a lot in the house, and he was great, but once we moved out into the real world, it was like he had never heard these commands in his life, so we are kind of starting over outside lol
He is doing better. We go to the front yard and work a lot. We live across from a pretty busy (Well for our area lol) gas station. He has also gone from loving food rewards, to not caring about them very much. But I've read thats kind of normal. For a puppy to be food crazy, then not so much when they get older.
Dean is the first dog I've gotten to actually train. I have kind of worked with my female bulldog on these things, but she is so different from him. She will try her best to do anything I ask of her, where as Dean is like meh, maybe later. I want to go do these things first. I don't let him go do those things, but he still tries lol

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datura View Post
I admit our obedience work isn't as good as it should be. this winter was ****. Between the terrible weather and my health, we weren't able to leave the house much, even to get in the yard. We did a lot in the house, and he was great, but once we moved out into the real world, it was like he had never heard these commands in his life, so we are kind of starting over outside lol
He is doing better. We go to the front yard and work a lot. We live across from a pretty busy (Well for our area lol) gas station. He has also gone from loving food rewards, to not caring about them very much. But I've read thats kind of normal. For a puppy to be food crazy, then not so much when they get older.
Dean is the first dog I've gotten to actually train. I have kind of worked with my female bulldog on these things, but she is so different from him. She will try her best to do anything I ask of her, where as Dean is like meh, maybe later. I want to go do these things first. I don't let him go do those things, but he still tries lol
Yeah, once the rapid growth phase winds down, itís not unusual for the dogís food drive to calm down a bit.

If you want to continue using treats, find more exciting food! I havenít run across too many dogs who could reduce the Natural Balance that comes in rolls. We cut it into small pieces for training.
Datura likes this.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff View Post
Yeah, once the rapid growth phase winds down, itís not unusual for the dogís food drive to calm down a bit.

If you want to continue using treats, find more exciting food! I havenít run across too many dogs who could reduce the Natural Balance that comes in rolls. We cut it into small pieces for training.
I have been dehydrating chicken livers and using those as treats. He wont eat them raw, but he loves them dehydrated. Same with fish lol He goes crazy for dehydrated fish, but refuses it any other way lol
I actually love that he will work for his one ball toy. I plan on doing some dock diving with him someday, and hope he jumps for this ball, or rather a ball that floats (I found out the other day, that this one does not after Dean took it out a few feet into Lake Superior and dropped it, and left it for me to go get. lol) I've noticed he is really into fetch now. More so than the flirt pole even.

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:59 AM
Crowned Member

You mentioning Lake Superior is what made me respondnto this thread lol! I just started reading a great book a few days. As I am out of commission myself temporarily. It is called Daughters of fhe Lake by Wendy Webb. It’s a light mtystery but about Lake Superior and all its magic. I’m almost done it’s hard to put it down.

If he enjoys the ball that is a great way to get great intensity and focus. They will do anything for a game of fetch if the high interest is there. Max world is all about how to get me to play ball with him lol! hotdogs and pot roast raw or cooked if using food or mozerella cheese but nothing gets him more focused then the ball. Nose work class is where we always practiced focus work as there was lots of down time between our turn it was where at home I would normally not get time to do. The beach was another place I found a spot that we had some room and bring the ball out and engage all other people , dogs , kids ,horses, helicopters , sea life deer ,surfers 4 wheelers , giant waves he loved to crash through all invisible. It was great because we went to beach at first off season with minimal distractions then on season which had all kinds of distractions. The beach was always big enough to after to really find a nice quiet spot.
Datura likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 04-28-2019 at 08:02 AM.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
You mentioning Lake Superior is what made me respondnto this thread lol! I just started reading a great book a few days. As I am out of commission myself temporarily. It is called Daughters of fhe Lake by Wendy Webb. Itís a light mtystery but about Lake Superior and all its magic. Iím almost done itís hard to put it down.

If he enjoys the ball that is a great way to get great intensity and focus. They will do anything for a game of fetch if the high interest is there. Max world is all about how to get me to play ball with him lol! hotdogs and pot roast raw or cooked if using food or mozerella cheese but nothing gets him more focused then the ball. Nose work class is where we always practiced focus work as there was lots of down time between our turn it was where at home I would normally not get time to do. The beach was another place I found a spot that we had some room and bring the ball out and engage all other people , dogs , kids ,horses, helicopters , sea life deer ,surfers 4 wheelers , giant waves he loved to crash through all invisible. It was great because we went to beach at first off season with minimal distractions then on season which had all kinds of distractions. The beach was always big enough to after to really find a nice quiet spot.
The beach we go too is short but long lol But it's almost always empty. We've gone the past couple days, and working on commands he already knows, and playing fetch in the water. It was only in the low 40's, but he was right in there. He actually went in with waves, and went over his head for the first time (Gives me hope for dock diving for sure haha) There is a larger, nicer beach down town, and they put on water front concerts every Thursday and it gets kind of crowded. I hope I can get him down there this summer to work on water work during all that. Hoping to find a good floaty toy, as his ball does not. We've just been using sticks. That way if he decides not to go get it, I don't have to wae out in the freezing water again lol

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page