Young male and females in heat - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:06 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
Evidently things have changed since I was showing my dogs. Or perhaps these are different types of shows? It used to be understood that people would not bring females in heat to dog shows. Times change I suppose, and not always for the better.

I agree times must really have changed......30 something years ago....AKC event here in Richmond VA---I remember someone being asked to put a female in heat back in the RV they came in....this was a confirmation/agility event....the female in question was entered in confirmation.....the couple in question had come from out of state with two other dogs....claimed they didn't know but seemed ok with putting her back in the RV and continuing with their other dogs.....I guess I assumed it was actually an AKC rule....we were simply spectators so I assumed wrong.....maybe what I witnessed was simply "dog show etiquette" back in those prehistoric days....if it's allowed today and is considered OK.....seems like an example to me in this much improved world we live in...where the needs of the "one" out weigh the needs of the "many"......if I was showing and had a male....I would consider a female in heat one more distraction my dog or myself don't need....over the years working with dogs that needed a home or had been rehomed with whatever problem they came to me with....I've never tried to get an intact male NOT to act like what he is.....an intact male....for those of you that have trained your male to ignore what they are on command--I applaud you....to the OP sounds like with the right training maybe your dog can be taught to ignore...good luck
Datura likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
There are always bitches in season at dog shows. Working on focus exercises with distractions are important with good rewards. In nose work class females in heat were one of the distractions that were close by and there were mostly intact males in the classroom- tensions were high on those days but all the dogs powered through.
Agree.

In some more pet type events, females in season are still treated as taboo contagions. In other sports, dogs are absolutely expected to work through it (or miss a lot of trial opportunities).

I just ran an in-heat, intact bitch for her ORTs (NACSW). She wore pants and I pottied her at the far side of the property, but it is allowed and there are protocols in place because it's commonplace. BIS's run in catalog order at herding trials, they run last (but can still run) in test classes. It's normal and common in IPO/IGP. The only sport I've had to remove myself from when a female is in season is AKC agility. You can run a BIS in UKI agility, you just need to use a mat at the start line. Pants optional.

If you're going to do dog sports or show, you should expect to train through a BIS. So good on you, OP, for working on it right away.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:02 AM
Elite Member

At club and at his trial there are/were BIS for Valor. BIS usually just go last. I corrected him out of paying attention to distractions like that as he was definitely "interested" ..but he was pretty easy that way as he is handler sensitive. So I don't have advice on how to train out of something so attractive (I'm sure others do).
Datura likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:26 PM

Young male and females in heat

All the dogs at a conformation show are intact, so thats a whole lot of potential for a bunch of girls in heat. You just deal with it. As far as training to show around them with your male, I would guess it would involve lots of training on focus and engagement, along with a sharp correction for ignoring you in a situation with a bitch in heat. All my dogs know what “knock it off means”. Since he’s so young, you can only hope he’ll get ahold of himself as he gets older. I’ve only had one intact male in my house with my girls and he wasn’t a screamer.
Sabis mom, CometDog and Datura like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015

Last edited by dogfaeries; 04-23-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Elite Member

The first time I had ever experienced a bis with my intact boy was in a regular NW class where the owner of the bis forgot the panties. My guy only gave a curiosity look towards the bitch while heading to the interior search area (pretty good work focus) but the bis pee spots in the potty area was a challenge to get his nose out of.

A few years back someone posted a YouTube vid of a mal working what looked like an obedience portion of an IPO exercise while a BIS was posted (tied) in the middle of the exercise work area. That mal worked flawlessly and the bis was incredibly patient. The vid was a shocker at the time but I think that the two dogs must have been HOT and the two were intended to be bred. The breeding took place immediately after the studs flawless performance with the willing bis.

A shocker for certain but pretty amazing to watch that level of obedience and intense work ethic.

A perfect comeback to those guys looking at your boy holding his down but making a ruckus. "Enough with the looks a female in heat just passed him". Expressions probably would have changed from disdain to understanding.
CometDog and Datura like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 04-23-2019 at 12:56 PM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
The breeding took place immediately after the studs flawless performance with the willing bis.
....and from that day on Rex never worked for mere tug rewards again.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:50 PM

My bitch is in her second week of being in heat.

I am keeping her away from our obedience classes as not all the dogs there are as advanced in their training.

However, I still take her to the working/protection classes because the trainers want her there to be a distraction for the dogs when they are being worked by their handlers.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Datura likes this.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Elite Member

best laugh I've had all week. Yup!
dogfaeries and Datura like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:04 PM

Young male and females in heat

This lunatic was in heat this day at the show, and went Best of Breed. She was traveling with young intact males, who were also being shown. They were a little extra rowdy, but it was all good.
ksotto333, Sabis mom and Datura like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane'sDad View Post
OP.....I think that most knowledgeable people who have a clue which way the wind blows....will not bring their female in heat to any event where they may encounter intact males....the responsibility of doing the "right" thing lies with the owner of the female in heat not with you or any owner of an intact male......yes I know that here in the real world all you have to do is read many of the posts on any online forum ( pick a forum subject ) or just watch daily news to know that the world is full of clueless....inexperienced or just don't care folks....however I think you'll find MOST folks involved in the show ring won't bring a female in heat to a show......

I agree with Tim --you'll never teach an intact male to ignore a female in heat....it just won't happen....quickest way to get some "battle scars" or worse on a male...is drop a female in heat in the middle of a group of males....you never know what you may encounter in a park situation-- an owner may OR may not know their girl is in heat ( hard to believe-but true )...but most "show" folks will know better......

I have been on both sides. I have worked intact males and expected them to do their jobs and I have worked intact females and make no apologies.
I walk Shadow in public. I control my dog and you control yours. She still needs exercise. I worked Sabi in heat. We still had a job to do. I trained Bud around females in heat and expected him to listen. I worked both his dad and his uncle around bitches.
Training is training and obedience is obedience. One of my pet peeves is people who say their dogs listen except when...
They listen or they don't. There is no sometimes and excepts.

OP make it clear to your boy that his obedience is not up for debate. I would be asking for him to ignore, focus on you. As long as he knows the commands a correction is in line.
There is a time and place for him to be a dog. And when he is "working" isn't it.
dogfaeries, tim_s_adams and Datura like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page