How to teach bark - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

How to teach bark

So this may seem stupid but, my shepherd does know how to bark but he’s usually barks without showing any teeth? Is there anyway to make him bark with teeth?😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Another thing I forgot to add is, he usually barks two time, he snaps his teeth without barking and then barks
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 AM

I taught to bark on command by using frustration. When I got a bit of a bark from my dogs, I gave back a big fun reaction. We needed to teach the bark command for obedience training. We told the dog to bark and hold a helper while doing protection drills. In protection sports the dog is put on a harness and the helper (person in bite gear) teases the dog. The dog is allowed to pull but not allowed to move forward toward the helper. Eventually the dog will bark and the helper acts surprised and startled. That rewards the dog. After a few of those practices it is time to pair the word with the action.

At home I used a bit of play acting to build frustration and get the bark. I gave an odd command that my dog didn't understand with yummy rewards sitting nearby. My dog wanted to do what I asked but had not clue what I wanted. He made a small vocalization and I cheered and rewarded it. That is how I taught my dogs to "whisper" or "tell secrets". For a bark you can hold a treat up and away from the dog and try to clue the dogs in a "do you want this?" type of way. When the dog can't get it and finally vocalizes, cheer and reward! Just be ready in case your dog tries to jump up and get a reward. They may try a few different strong-arm ideas before he gives you a bark. Once you get the bark you might even be able to teach your dog to "count". My ridgie mix would count my fingers up to 5. Fun trick.

Also be patient. It takes some dogs time to find their voice. My big-boy caught on quickly. My gal-dog caught on just as fast but took longer to learn how to regulate her volume between a full on bark and a secret (soft vocalization). I've seen it go the other way as well, with snaps and rasps and the big bark coming later.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page