Ideas to help new destructive behavior - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By middleofnowhere

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Ideas to help new destructive behavior

I have a almost 2 yr old intact male that in the past two months we had to start crating again at night and last couple weeks we've also had him on leash during the day in the house because he's being very destructive. I mean eating things he's been around for months and months and never touched before, like the tv remote, blankets, headphones, etc.

He gets to play fetch every day, we have a 1.5 acre lot so he gets plenty of flat out running. He gets trained, and our teen son play tug and other games with him in the house virtually every day. Besides being destructive he also has been acting as if there's a female in heat very close. Every neighbor we have has a yard as big or larger than ours. We have no stray or off-leash dogs around ever because we're on a pretty secluded street, no one has fences, and everyone has dogs on leash when walking.

He's my 4th GSD but first working line, no, I had no idea what I was getting into with him. I'm female and 58, he's very much my dog, and I'm sure too possessive of me. For example, I've seen him in a dog day-care type situation where he was fine with other dogs, but when me or my husband have him on leash he's crazy reactive towards other dogs. He's never been aggressive with anyone in our family, including my grown daughter, but he never has liked her husband (although I think that's as much as the SIL's fault as the dogs).

I've scheduled his neuter in a month when he'll be fully 2. Any ideas why he'd be ok for so long with having freedom in the house to seemingly overnight being destructive and, well, so aroused for seemingly no reason? Thanks for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180824_195922267_iOS -1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	520095  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:15 PM

Nope.It could possibly be a female in heat though.My guy about drove me crazy last fall whining,pacing,trying to mount our two spayed females for a few weeks.Then it stopped all of a sudden.That was my guess too.He wasn't destructive though thank goodness.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:20 AM

From what it sounds like he's getting what he needs in terms of energy release and training so it may be because there's a female in heat that he's getting a whiff of on your walks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

"he gets training" What kind of training? How often? How intense?

One thought - I had a dog's behavior change drastically when our routine changed. Because of my heightened work schedule, I cut out the extended weekend walk and cut down on the daily walks. It wasn't good.

That you live in a large lot (l.5 acres) sounds good but that it isn't fenced (no one has fences) doesn't sound ideal. It makes me wonder if the dog gets off lead time alone at all.

2 yo is when a lot of dogs loose their homes. I wouldn't count on neutering solving behavior problems. Instead, I'd count on upping his game --- (OK so I think schutzhund/IPO obedience work outs and the other three aspects, too are the answer to a lot of behavior problems.. yup. ) Fly ball, agility other very active venues would likely work as well. Structure, activity and reward. I've not had a dog (well, maybe the Samoyed) who didn't love to work. --
Orphan Heidi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page