How do I train to NOT jump over the fence? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:03 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Dogs can learn context. Just because they learn to climb or jump for a sport doesn't mean they will jump or climb the fence. .

I'm going with this thought as well......

From day one.....any time the pup raised up on something it shouldn't...the pup was discouraged.....4 on the floor was encouraged and rewarded.

Counter-surfing, jumping up on people, rising up on the fence or doors etc. all seemed to coincide with the same type of training.

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:02 PM
Master Member

Never leave a dog with a collar unattended. The odds are low that your dog will try to jump your fence.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:54 PM

I would also recommend to not practice the hurdle with your own fence . I know a lady who used to show off her mali's jumping skills over her 4 foot chain-link fence for practice and the dog figured it was okay to go off on her own after deer all the time. She was constantly chasing this dog through the woods because of it.
Sabis mom and Judy Untamed like this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsugsd View Post
I would also recommend to not practice the hurdle with your own fence . I know a lady who used to show off her mali's jumping skills over her 4 foot chain-link fence for practice and the dog figured it was okay to go off on her own after deer all the time. She was constantly chasing this dog through the woods because of it.
Some things SHOULD be obvious. Oh well.
Judy Untamed likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 03:00 PM

When I got my current dog someone told me not to use a gate in a fence in front of the pup or else she would figure out there was a way out there.

We lived in a rental house at the time that had a backyard enclosed with a full privacy fence. There were two ways into the backyard--a gate through the fence and a slider from the house. I was always careful to only let the new puppy out through the slider.

One day--she couldnt have been more than 12 weeks old--I was out in the backyard with her. I remembered there was something in the garage I wanted to bring to the backyard. I went back in through the slider, into the garage but then whatever it was (I forget) was messy and I didn't want to lug it through the house. So I opened the garage door and used the fence gate. The gate was at the front of the house so you couldn't see it from most of the back yard.

I suddenly appeared in the backyard coming along the side of the house. My puppy froze. She looked at me, she looked at the slider, she looked at me, she looked at the slider, her head tilting madly the whole time. She broke into a run, past me, and up to the gate. She sniffed the ground and started pawing at the gate.

We both learned lessons that day. Smart dogs are smart.
Judy Untamed likes this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Elite Member

We had a scare with Cody as a pup, I have a kennel on the patio, chain link type, I had put him in the kennel and when I came back I heard him crying and ran out there and his collar was stuck at the bottom of the kennel on one of the "loops" the wire makes. I think he may have been laying next to it and when he heard me drive up the collar caught when he got up. After that the only time they had a collar on was when they were on leash! At home they never wore collars any more! Like Super G said I think discouraging standing against fence, counters whatever, they never tried to jump the fence, same with digging, I always did the at at sound or a sharp " hey" and we never had a problem. We have 6 foot chain link with railroad ties that line the fence, I had put like chicken wire down under the railroad ties so we never had an escape! But the neighbors chihuahua squeezed in between the gate poles!! I drove a piece of pipe down between those and that stopped that! Like others have said I don't think you could have chased the shepherds off with a stick, they never seemed to want to get out! I agree too with maybe not training jumping in your yard!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Some things SHOULD be obvious. Oh well.
LOL! Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
We both learned lessons that day. Smart dogs are smart.
That's a great story! I wish there was video of your pup's face when you appeared out of nowhere!

Thanks for all the wise and kind words, everyone. I'm confident we'll work out what works best for us when the time comes, and long before she's big enough to be a worry in the first place. For sure, she'll never be anything close to an "outdoor dog" that's left outside for long stretches of time. She'll never be left outside if no one is home.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

I got to thinking about this --- primarily it's your husband's anxiety that needs attention. Have you considered listing everything that was going on with his dog that hanged himself? You could list all the particulars of then vs all the particulars of now. As in first dog wasn't a "working dog" - this dog will be. You will put equipment on cue. This fence is different than that fence. You will add modifications (coyote rollers, baffles, etc ) as warrented. This dog will go on regular walks. This dog will not be out on a line without supervision. etc etc etc. Because, really, assuring him is what this is all about.
Judy Untamed likes this.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
I got to thinking about this --- primarily it's your husband's anxiety that needs attention. Have you considered listing everything that was going on with his dog that hanged himself? You could list all the particulars of then vs all the particulars of now. As in first dog wasn't a "working dog" - this dog will be. You will put equipment on cue. This fence is different than that fence. You will add modifications (coyote rollers, baffles, etc ) as warrented. This dog will go on regular walks. This dog will not be out on a line without supervision. etc etc etc. Because, really, assuring him is what this is all about.
That's it, exactly. And that's exactly what I've been working on. All the various points and stories brought up here have helped, and also given time for his emotional state regarding the fence to ease up and allow for a more rational discussion. Time will be the proof, of course, when we raise a dog that has no interest in jumping fences, regardless of her abilities on the working field. In the meantime, I think we've gotten to the point where he's willing to trust me on the training, and he knows that I'm willing to being open to modifying the fence as needed in the future (which I don't think will be necessary....but IF.....ya know....).

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member

I may have some anxiety about sticks. I can understand why your husband would be concerned even if it was a freak accident. Things happen. There is some satisfaction watching your dog munch on a stick on a beautiful day in the yard I get that but not for me. Luna who never really chewed sticks must a found one or had recently fallen and chewed on one after being out in the yard for awhile - being watched over but not hovered - every one was quiet lying outside and I missed she was chewing on a stick part or not even sure how happened. When she came in house. She was pawing at her head like mad and and salivating, crying looked like she had trouble breathing. I looked in her mouth saw nothing try to reach her throat with my fingers my hand was to big. It looked like she was having a seizure trying to unblock her throat I thought something was in her throat. I had to rush her to vet and they dislodged the stick was stuck across her palate. Everything thing also began to swell and she stick pieces in her palate and put on anti inflammatory. Her paws had blood from pawing at the mouth. Second dog first one had a puncture from throwing a stick I said never again I was wrong. I practically live in the woods
Judy Untamed likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page