Not be terrified of the vet. - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank-you for the rescue suggestion! I have an appointment with a vet who works with dogs like this at one of the rescues.

Someone commented that it was a discipline problem. But up until now, the vet has never been a problem. He liked his vet and the staff up to the December visit. He went in, sat down, and happily went in a room. We were not told the nail trim was a struggle. I don't know what happened, but it definitely stuck with him. Panic set in as soon as he was in the door. Nothing we had ever seen before.

Had I known, we could have worked on it in the time ahead of the appt. And nothing came out until the second visit to that vet. Not fair to the dog, or to us.

It is going to take work to get him comfortable again, but we will work on it.
Judy Untamed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:35 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn13 View Post
Thank-you for the rescue suggestion! I have an appointment with a vet who works with dogs like this at one of the rescues.

Someone commented that it was a discipline problem. But up until now, the vet has never been a problem. He liked his vet and the staff up to the December visit. He went in, sat down, and happily went in a room. We were not told the nail trim was a struggle. I don't know what happened, but it definitely stuck with him. Panic set in as soon as he was in the door. Nothing we had ever seen before.

Had I known, we could have worked on it in the time ahead of the appt. And nothing came out until the second visit to that vet. Not fair to the dog, or to us.

It is going to take work to get him comfortable again, but we will work on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooperative-C.../dp/0578423138
Heartandsoul likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:40 AM
Elite Member

That looks like a good book. I've always allow m guy the option to remove his paw or leave his bed during a nail trim session. I think that is why he is willing to get on his bed for a trim in the first place. There is a consequence though if he does leave. I don't say a word or act displeased, but No yummy jackpot. I just put it away as he stands watching. Makes him want to try harder the next time.

My vet does the same during simple physical exams. Love her very calm nature.

@Lynn13, good luck, I hope it goes as well as can be. Please update how he did and how he does going forward.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:42 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
That looks like a good book.
The author is the one who teaches the class I linked.

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRose View Post
What have you done to get him used to being handled, examined, nails trimmed, and the like? In addition to the fear free vet recommendation above, I suggest this class online class about Cooperative Care. https://www.fenzidogsportsacademy.co...p/courses/2392 It covers lots of things to help you prepare your dog for vet visits, and to make things safer for both him and whomever needs to handle him.
I checked that link out. Loved the techniques. Using a paper cup to begin the process of muzzle training. No need for a proper muzzle to start the training. She has other short YouTube vids also. The class looks like it would be well worth it.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page