Distracted when playing?! Need help - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chip Blasiole

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Distracted when playing?! Need help

My 1 year old female gsd gets distracted when I take out my male shepherd. My female shepherd likes to play when alone, her prey drive is insane, she has a little bit of toy drive but once i take my male out she gets so distracted and bites my males legs, i really need help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

Welcome to the board.

I'm confused how her prey drive could be insane and her toy drive "a little bit" because generally "toy drive" is considered "prey drive" So what are you using to judge "prey drive"?

From what you have written in this post, you have both dogs out at once and expect your female to focus on you and training? At 1 yo that is not going to happen - not in my experience anyway ---- unless I have something insanely high value and then I may get both dogs focused on me. So -- it sounds like your expectations may be a bit unrealistic. If you want to work with the female, work with her. If you want to work with your guy (and as the dog with seniority, he should get first attention, major focus time with you) put the female up. If you want them to interact, have them both out together. So - your apparent expectations need some serious adjustment. BUT remember, the senior dog gets a lot of solo time, a lot of "you first" time and that interaction continues when they are both out together.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

If something moves, she’ll immediately go crazy, if it’s like rags or something flat she wants it,(she’s super picky) tho when it comes to balls shes not as focused on it, and I’ve tried to get her attention, it seems like she’s more attached to my male, should I teach her to play alone and then try to put them both together once she’s more focused on me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:21 PM
Master Member

This situation is a problem when people have more than one dog. I don't know how you raised your year old female, but she should have been separated from your male until she was at least six months old while you were doing your foundation training, with some short, occasional social interaction. You will never be able to compete with the attention of your male. I don't understand if you mean you are trying to train her around the male or if she just gets hyper when they are together. If you are talking about training her, train her away from the male and use time with him as a reinforce after you have trained her. That can still create problem because you usually want the dog to have some "soak" time. Having multiple dogs has to be well thought out with the proper kennel situation or you are going to end up with problems like yours. Are you training her at all or just concerned about how to manage their social interaction?
Sabis mom likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Elite Member

How old is your male?
Are they intact?
Did you get your female as a puppy?
Are they littermates or puppies that otherwise grew up together?
How is your male when all this is going on? Does he key to her as well?

Just some details that will help you get well thought out opinions

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:25 PM

Could you leave a 10/15 ft line dragging on her while they play? That way, you could more easily redirect her.

Or, if she’s really distracted maybe just some “sit, stay” practice while he’s running around chasing toys in the background?

--
Michelle
Iry, mixed breed, CGC
Max, GSD, CGC

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
How old is your male?
Are they intact?
Did you get your female as a puppy?
Are they littermates or puppies that otherwise grew up together?
How is your male when all this is going on? Does he key to her as well?

Just some details that will help you get well thought out opinions [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
my male is almost 2
Yes they’re intact but no intention of breeding
I got her when she was 4mo, I trained her with treats and not with toys so that was my biggest mistake
At night they would be together, but they’re always crates
My male focuses on me when training or playing while my female bite his legs
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
This situation is a problem when people have more than one dog. I don't know how you raised your year old female, but she should have been separated from your male until she was at least six months old while you were doing your foundation training, with some short, occasional social interaction. You will never be able to compete with the attention of your male. I don't understand if you mean you are trying to train her around the male or if she just gets hyper when they are together. If you are talking about training her, train her away from the male and use time with him as a reinforce after you have trained her. That can still create problem because you usually want the dog to have some "soak" time. Having multiple dogs has to be well thought out with the proper kennel situation or you are going to end up with problems like yours. Are you training her at all or just concerned about how to manage their social interaction?
we got her at 4 mo and she was rarely with my male, they were crated, after her first heat she immediately started chasing my male and biting him
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:00 PM
Master Member

Why do you say training her with treats and not toys was a mistake? Different people have different approaches, but if a pup has good food drive, I start out with food because it is easier to lure and you can reinforce the behavior continuously, unlike with toys. Meanwhile, I assess the pup's prey drive and use a toy to build drive and teach fundamentals that will later help with bite work such as striking, countering, holding the toy, carrying the toy, possessing the toy, etc. If you have no plans to do bite work, you can still use some of those fundamentals to build possessiveness and drive. I think you can see how raising a pup around another dog prevents you from being the bearer of all things good. I assume your male was raised without another dog and you say he focuses on you and your female was raised with another dog and is focused on him and sees you as much less interesting as another dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page