• 2 Post By SuperG
  • 2 Post By SuperG
  • 1 Post By GSDchoice
  • 1 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Chip Blasiole
  • 2 Post By GSDchoice

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

How would you sequence biking/jogging training?

I'm thinking ahead-my trails are ice covered so I am not taking anyone biking or jogging, and Jett is too young for any sustained exercise like that (from what I've read).

So, in addition to working on loose-leash walking, what can I work on in a distraction free environment to smooth the way into having a good exercise companion? My last exercise companion learned how to follow me on his own (a deaf Australian Shepherd) so I never had to teach him. `My son runs with our current dog and is fast enough that the dog matches his pace comfortably. I'm very slow now that I'm older and also have never done biking with a dog.

TIA for whatever advice you have to offer!

Maureen
Radar, Aussie/BC mix, b. 2/27/2012
Jett, GSD foster pup, b. 7/15/2018
Madison, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 AM

I tried biking with my dogs last summer, then it got too hot so it didn't last long. That and I don't want my dogs to run on black top the entire time. I held the leash and hooked them to a harness (not the no pull kind). It took them some time to get used to staying with the bike and not bumping into it. It took me some time to find a comfortable speed and deal with stop signs. A running track at a park might be a better place to start. NO traffic or intersections. One tip that worked for me is that I put my bicycle seat all the way down so that I could easily put both feet down on the ground. In fact I basically sat on my seat and "scootered" for awhile. Once we got into a rhythm I put my feet on the pedals.

I can't tell you about running because it would knock me out long before my dogs would even begin to pant
CometDog, Judy Untamed and mkculs like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I tried biking with my dogs last summer, then it got too hot so it didn't last long. That and I don't want my dogs to run on black top the entire time. I held the leash and hooked them to a harness (not the no pull kind). It took them some time to get used to staying with the bike and not bumping into it. It took me some time to find a comfortable speed and deal with stop signs. A running track at a park might be a better place to start. NO traffic or intersections. One tip that worked for me is that I put my bicycle seat all the way down so that I could easily put both feet down on the ground. In fact I basically sat on my seat and "scootered" for awhile. Once we got into a rhythm I put my feet on the pedals.

I can't tell you about running because it would knock me out long before my dogs would even begin to pant
Thanks. I'm fortunate to have a loop of 3.5-4 miles (depending on how I get to the loop) that is minimally paved. It's why I bought my house where I did I like the tip about the bike seat.

I'm really wondering, though, if there are specific commands I can preteach that will make the transition to biking and/or jogging easier. Watching videos during my "downtime" on a snow day when I spend hours catching up on paperwork!

Maureen
Radar, Aussie/BC mix, b. 2/27/2012
Jett, GSD foster pup, b. 7/15/2018
Madison, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Crowned Member

Maybe try walking him alongside a bike while you push it. See how he is with that. I think I had to correct mine a couple times wanting to sniff or bite the tire when it was moving.
mkculs likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Crowned Member

Like Steve says......

Here's a video showing it......

I didn't use the springer device but a shock cord with a clip on the end....but basic training is all the same I guess..

SuperG
GSDchoice and mkculs like this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkculs View Post
I'm really wondering, though, if there are specific commands I can preteach that will make the transition to biking and/or jogging easier.

If you haven't started working on lefts, rights, straights, stop, slow, fast etc....you could start all that walking your dog on a 6 foot lead easy enough and get the dog used to your verbal cues before you hit the road on your bike....literally. I wish I would have done this with my first dog.....I'm guessing I provided some serious laughs for my neighbors back then....I went right...dog went left.....dog won...

SuperG
Judy Untamed and mkculs like this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Master Member

I really liked that video! :-)

Especially with the goat and the random extra dogs running around!

I think he did a great job getting his dog used to the bike, he seems to be really good with animals.
mkculs likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:09 AM

For left and right I use the words Left and Right. Some use Haw (left) and Gee (right) which are easier to say when your lips are cold. We practice this with spins (left spin / right spin) and paw lifts (left paw / right paw) and so far it seems to have translated to turning left and right during a walk...but I wouldn't depend on it, yet.

I can see where Stop and Slow would be important as well as something for Keep Going.
mkculs likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:20 AM
Master Member

I don't have one, but plan on purchasing the Bike Tow Leash when my dog reaches about 18 months. It is a bit pricey, but has very good reviews.
https://biketowleash.com/
mkculs likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:38 AM
Master Member

Oh, here are the husky "bikejoring" / sled commands by the way:

"Hike!" or "Mush!" or "Alright!" = Go
"Gee" = turn right
"Haw" = turn left
"Whoa..." = Stop
"On by!" = ignore that thing, keep running

I noticed that they all use different vowel sounds (pretty nifty!) so even dogs running upfront & farther away can still easily distinguish what word it is...
i.e. "Go", "slow" and "whoa" would be a confusing combo...:-)
Judy Untamed and mkculs like this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page