jumping and biting - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I also found having them carrying around a ball or toy also they can transfer any excited energy to that toy or ball.

yes this does work. ball play etc is great when I want to or have time to but if I just had to pop into the back garden to get something he will jump and bite unless distracted. I dont want to throw him a treat or ball each time I need to use the garden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

Can you give him a ball before you go outside or a bone to chomp on. How is your body language. Can you leash him to practice good behaviors in the backyard when you are out in the garden with him. Even calling him and crating him while you are outside until you get a handle on things. When max was a puppy he wanted to play and jump all over the kids outside destroyed some snow suits. For a long while I used a long lead or leash when out with kids in backyard and practiced behaviors I wanted let the good stuff become a habit. Focus exercises structured play became a habit of using the brain before they get to Zaney modes much much repetition and to be set up for success. I have used ecollar but to to proof off leash off leash recall around wild animals deer and such which I had trainer show me to use which I would strongly suggest you have a trainer show you how to use one. You can’t just smack on a ecollar and buZz away. It can really screw a dog up. The dog needs to know the correction comes from you.
Joeydog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-03-2019 at 01:36 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Crowned Member

You are going to have to show him what you expect from him. you will have to take the time to do so.
Joeydog likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:20 PM

Is he mouthing or biting? My male is mouthy in a sense when we let him out the crate he will come by our side and gently put his mouth on you while “talking.” I always tell people in advance who ask to pet him or who come over that he communicates this way. They either don’t mind or they just say no and he stops.

We taught him bite inhibition, so he knows gentle and knows how to be soft. He also will come up to us and mouth us and get us to follow him when he has to go the bathroom or if they ran out of water in their bowl.

Now jumping is something we are working on now. Prong collar was our best friend. As soon as we got one their leash walking improved. Now for jumping we use it when people come over.

We just make sure to have their prong and leash on when someone comes through the door. We keep it on them for about the first 10-15 minutes someone is over. Once they calm down we take it off and they do not even once jump after the fact. It’s just the intial exciment of having people over make them want to jump all over said person. Yet the prong makes them aware and helps us corrects them instantly. they usually dont even try to jump when they have it on because they know.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeydog View Post
Hello Malibu,

I have no problem been stern. In what way though? anything physical seems to get him more excited. I have the mini educator to use at a later date but I want him to understand the basics first.
As mentioned.. LEASH him.He gets no freedom until you say so... Your patients MUST outlast over his outburst.. You talk about going outside with a tennis ball, well NO tennis ball for awhile. Do other things . Start going outside with no ball.. DO NOT ALLOW HIM to become over fixated on the ball...
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Im not sure of the difference. Like I said the biting does not hurt. Perhaps a child or someone not used to him might think different though. I managed to contact the trainer again. We are going to plan things over the next few weeks. Ill report back how things are going.

I also agree its an initial thing with him. If I was to spend half an our out the back garden he would quite down and potter about. Even today I was in and out of the shed and although he jumped and mouthed it was really for a pat or rub. This situation has boiled down to my laziness but that will change from now on. Thanks for the info all.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:51 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Is he in the yard most of the time, or does this happen when you take him out with you? It sounds like he's already out there when you're going to get something in the shed.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

He is outside all the time unless it hits minus temperatures (which it has not really so far this winter). So I do understand that if he is alone for a few hours he would understandably be over excited to see me etc. It was suggested throwing him a bone or ball etc before I go outside but thats just not practical every time I need to go out the back yard.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:08 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeydog View Post
He is outside all the time unless it hits minus temperatures (which it has not really so far this winter).
As long as that's the case, I doubt you're going to see a lot of improvement. My puppy, who will be a year old tomorrow, goes insane when I get home from work, and also when we come home and let her and our old guy out of the garage pen into the house with us.

The biting is improving, especially if she grabs a toy to chomp on instead, but she zooms around like a maniac, jumping all over us. She settles down quickly, but at first she is very, very excited. If she stayed in the garage pen all the time (there's a dog door to an outside run), every time I had to go outside I'd expect her to go through the same frantic excitement.

It's hard to train a dog not to be overly excited around you when they're not around you that much, just like it's hard to train a dog not to be overly excited in the house if they rarely or never get to spend time in the house.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Crowned Member

Wow Great question Cassidy’s mom . This breed is a dog that wants to be with you all the time and needs to interact with it’s people on a regular basis. They are a dog bred to work together with their people- I can’t empahsize this enough. Why is the dog out by itself all the time? Does the dog sleep outside?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page