Recall around wildlife - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

With e-collar and wildlife, there are a few things to keep in mind.

First, train positive and negative markers, as part of life "yes" for agreeing (that's what I like) and "no" for disagree (I don't want that) build this language with treats and punishment. Punishment sounds terrible, but it is just anything the dog wants to avoid. Can be minor, can be major, it is circumstance dependent.

Next, the earlier you can catch a dog in the chase sequence the better. Meaning, as soon as they smell deer, say "no" and correct. As soon as they look intently at coyote, correct. It is better to start high than to start too low. At least when it comes to chasing. Once the dog is in full throttle and in a chase, you will have to crank the collar all the way up to stop him or her. No fun.

It is very useful to have a "stop" word. I have fallen on "hey" just because it comes easy to my tongue when we have an unexpected wildlife encounter. This means basically "leave it alone and come here immediately". It's one I keep very sharp, and only use when I really need to.

Finally, give the dog something else to do after you have stopped the chase. I like "with me" which is a relaxed heel.

I don't like to reward with anything other than food. Not tug or toy, I feel that builds up energy, rather than takes it away. Generally, I don't reward at all for a recall off wildlife. I've learned through experience that my dogs place a different significance on a command that was trained primarily or only through "pressure" and not "in drive-motivational". Not saying I don't reward for a recall, but that the emergency stop, is not generally taught in a way that is necessarily fun for the dog. Because it is quite literally life or death.
dogma13 and techinstructor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 05:35 AM
Crowned Member

I hate to be contrarian, but I think that having exact/ perfect recall in that situation is unrealistic given the circumstances, and that your dog did quite well. He did recall after the threat had run away. Sure, we can play the what if game in our heads, or we can use training tools and training for our peace of mind....but I think your dog reacted very well for situation and I usually leave very well alone.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:22 AM
Elite Member

Cliff- I actually was going to write something similar. But with certain wildlife, 10-15 seconds can be too long- some moose, bear, and especially porcupines. It's probably unrealistic to expect perfection, in every scenario, every time, however, and that is part of the risk-reward balance each individual dog owner decides on when they let the dog off leash. I try to up the odds in my favor through training, but no dog and nobody is perfect.
PghLoveGSD, Nigel, dogma13 and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 09:30 PM

I've heard Larry Krohn say that even though his dogs are perfect (and they are), they're still dogs with a mind of their own, and so he never walks his dogs off leash without the e-collars. Because it only takes that one time to wreck your life or your dogs. Makes sense to me.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghLoveGSD View Post
I've heard Larry Krohn say that even though his dogs are perfect (and they are), they're still dogs with a mind of their own, and so he never walks his dogs off leash without the e-collars. Because it only takes that one time to wreck your life or your dogs. Makes sense to me.

I was glad to see someone mention Larry Krohn. I have used his book and videos to learn how to condition my pups to the eCollar. Krohn says that he doesn't use the eCollar to "train" any skills, but instead it is like a pager or reminder for the dog to do what he is trained to do.

I live in the woods with lots of wildlife around. The eCollar has allowed me to give my dogs the freedom to run and play (supervised by me of course) without me worrying about them taking off into woods where they can disappear from sight if they get 30-50 feet away. It doesn't take the place of training the skills, but it is a great insurance policy. My dogs' recalls (which were at about 95%) are much even better both with and without the collar.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Elite Member

If he is usually on your 6 and not going after coyotes I'd agree it was due to you needing to confront one verbally and probably with body language as well this time. I agree with getting a good trainer to do a session and show you how to use an e collar.

My dog blew recall once so far, we were in an empty unused baseball/soccer field and a fox ran into his hole from a close distance to us. Dog jammed his head in the hole and would not listen to me to come to me. The fox was close when this happened and it happebed so quickly I did not have a chance to call him "off" the fox...but I was not able to call him off the fox hole.The fox blew out the other hole and he wanted to bolt after him but didn't (I yelled him into a down stay lol). I put an ecollar on him for a few weeks, the biggest issue was replicating the situation. Didn't happen again and we saw deer, chipmunk etc. It was like " would you please screw up again so I can correct you?" lol

It sounds like overall your dog has great recall and he just went into drive because you felt threatened (or at least the need to yell at the approaching coyote). I would try some proofing though as it is one of those "bad things can happen" situations. Definitely use a trainer at first though.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:39 PM

My first GSD's would chase armadillo's, squirrels, livestock,...etc. when they were younger(less than 1yr old) then I started training a SOLID - "STOP" command on them by working with their prey drive using a lure coursing technique wwith fly rod and rubber skirted deep see fishing lure. Have them chase lure to bring out chase instinct - raise rod to bring lure back to your body/hand and use "STOP" command repeat over and over to disrupt their prey/chase mode train of thought. Instills obedience and it's great exercise for them without you having to put much effort in yourself. Also, working with their prey drive can lead to additional command behaviors:sit, stay, go by, away to me, hold,.....etc.
Worked on my 1st Herding Champion and every dog I've worked with since then +17yrs. Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page