Potty Training. HELP!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Potty Training. HELP!!!

12 week old GSD....have been at it for 6 days w/ +++ praise and treats for going potty outside, then he comes in and pees on carpet 5 min later. When I take him out every 15-20 min...he takes a side trip to pee on carpet on his way to me and the door out! So exhausting, and hard for me to go down on knees to clean carpet 2x an hour (at least!). Am so exhausted, any suggestions?...Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:47 PM

Carry him out for the next couple of weeks.Try and stay out with him until he pees a couple of times.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

I am out w/ puppy at all times when he peed outside, he has peed outside at least 100 times, and 25 times inside!! He is too heavy for me to carry now...26#.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

Have you had him to the vet to check for a UTI?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 01:57 AM
Elite Member

Are you cleaning up with an enzyme based cleaner?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:40 AM
Master Member

Potty training was a huge issue for me too. I had to carry him all the way from my apartment, to the lift, and then outside. But the last time I could carry my dog with one hand was when he was 4-5 months old, so I had to think of something.

The catalyst was when I realised I have to correct him everytime he peed inside, right then and there AS HE PEED. I would say NO! NO MORE! firmly as he finished peeing. After a couple weeks of 'correcting him in the act,' he's never had accidents no more. There's no use in correcting after you find a pool of pee, it has to be DURING.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:01 AM

Crate him on and off and put leash on him and take him outside then praise and good treat.

Clean carpet..... try to close off carpet potty spot. Make it less appealing to walk on.

This is not rocket science and yes they are puppies and n need to understand what we are asking them to do. We have to be persistent .. People who say their puppy on pee'd a few times in the house did not have a magical puppy they had a great plan of attack. A 12 week old puppy should Never be out of sight therefore you should always be able to correct.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I clean w/ Spot Shot...advertises it eliminates pet odors...my while house smells of Spot Shot now!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Thx Malibu...will keep him leashed and next to me in house...and correct in the act. That reminded me how it worked for me w/ my GSDs years ago. Guess I was influenced by all the recent reading of only focusing on praising positives. Last nite I decided to remove the inside dog water fountain...he must be getting too much water!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Thx McGloomy, again I will try leashed in house and correct bad behavior IMMEDIATELY. Thx to all for your support...has been empowering when I was down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page