Tail chasing - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Tail chasing

I should have searched for this before posting because I am sure I am not the only one with a dog that chases his tail. I am not sure how to get him to stop, or why he does it. He is very fast at it though I tell ya. It makes me dizzy just watching him. Because of his spinning as I call it, he has hurt his paw 3 times now. Soft tissue injuries. In order to get him to stop I have to yell at him....(2 minutes later you will hear me say sorry though. I can't stay mad at him)this does stop him for about 5 minutes. I am wondering if it is because he was taken so young from his parents. Any thoughts. ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

He has slowed down now at spinning. Not sure why though. Maybe it was a faze he was going through. He still does it but not as much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Knighted Member

I would stop him as soon as he starts, and give him something to do. Redirect with a toy, or even a walk. Change his focus, good that he's slowed down doing it as much. Don't yell at him, give him a command, sit, stay, place use different ones to keep his attention.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Never thought about slippin a command in there. It used to be really annoying, I guess that's why. I'll try that, thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Mei
Master Member

All I can think of is to distract him with a command, toy or treat.

I've seen other dogs do this but luckily Mei has never done it. If she did I would just think its funny and let her play but getting an injury sucks.

Good luck!

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Master Member

Tail chasing is a compulsive behavior and not normal. GSD are one of a few breeds prone to tail chasing.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...se-their-tails
Malibu likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
Tail chasing is a compulsive behavior and not normal. GSD are one of a few breeds prone to tail chasing.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...se-their-tails
Agree, not good at all. Sorry but I do not have an answer, but I don't believe any command will help because you are not there every time it happens. I would think something more like a anti-deprepresent type med. How old and how long has this been going on.

Last edited by Malibu; 11-13-2018 at 10:29 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Crowned Member

Can you set up a camera to see if he does it when you are not around?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Administrator

This is a dry read (pour yourself some extra coffee) but it covers a lot -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3406045/

Quote:
We found that gender, amount of exercise, amount of activities, time spent alone, age of arrival to the household, number of adults in the household, number of diagnosed diseases, type of food, or birth place were not associated with TC in any of the analyses in a pooled sample or a breed-specific analysis (data not shown), and these same factors were dropped from the final models (data not shown).
Quote:
Finally, we performed the same analyses described above using the pooled data (all breeds) including only the most severe tail chasers (TCindex 5–12; tail chasing is ‘frequent’ to ‘multiple times per day’) and the controls. In this analysis, dietary supplements (x21,185 = 11.32, p<0.001), the amount of conspecifics at home (x21,185 = 9.63, p = 0.002) and sterilization (x21,185 = 6.05, p = 0.014) were the only TC-associated factors (generalized linear model, binomial distribution).

The effect of maternal care and age of separation (from the mother) on TC was also evaluated using a generalized linear model with a binomial distribution. Tail chasers had experienced lower quality care (χ2 1, 74 = 5.64, p = 0.018, all breeds pooled) and were separated earlier from their mothers (χ2 1, 74 = 4.40, p = 0.036) compared to dogs with no tail chasing. TC dogs had been separated from their mothers on average at 7 weeks of age, whereas in the control group the average age of separation was 8 weeks. There were no differences between females or males or between breeds (data not shown). When only the most severe cases (TCindex 5–12, n = 16) were compared with the controls, the only notable difference was a trend towards decreased maternal care between severely affected TC cases and controls (n = 32) (χ2 1, 48 = 3.17, p = 0.075).
It goes into which nutritional supplements made a difference, etc.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:01 PM

Samson Chase's his tail from time to time. It typically happens when we've had several days of rain and outdoor activity has been more limited. It's nothing I'm concerned about, but it is notable that they found shy dogs were more prone to this and Samson is a bit on the shy side. He came home at 9 weeks and had very good maternal care, so none of that applies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page