Bark on command? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tennessee
  • 1 Post By RuthArt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Bark on command?

I have a 2 month puppy and she already knows sit, down, stay, pretty but we’re teaching her how to bark but she’s very quiet, she never barks just Wines any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:47 PM

I taught Kairo with a verbal command and a hand signal, followed by a treat when he barked. I don't treat him anymore, but it didn't take him long to catch on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kairo DOB: 12/02/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow on Instagram: @just_kairo_gsd
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:52 PM

She’ll start barking eventually, give it time. Soon enough the problem will be getting her to shut up LOL.

Once she does, with my two I started by giving the command when they started barking on their own for whatever reason and praised. After doing that some so they got the general idea, I started giving the command during play. This is gonna sound silly but it worked for me, I’d give the command and start barking myself they’d get worked up enough to bark back.

After doing that some, I stopped barking myself and just gave the command during play and refused to let them have the toy till they barked. Didn’t take long till they figured it out.

After that, I randomly did it with no toy but with a treat handy. not offering though as in a 1:1 bark to treat exchange, rather you’re to bark because I told you to. good job, here’s a hidden treat.

ETA: I still use it regularly during play, it’s great for getting drives back up and getting their “head back in the game” so to speak. It’s a great tool to have, major deterrent. Saying a word in a foreign language and having a GSD bark on command, has an amazing power to make people rethink their behavior. Lol
tim_s_adams likes this.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinoisí love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18

Last edited by Tennessee; 09-07-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:58 PM

Tennessee is so right, lol! You sure you want to teach your puppy how to bark?

I taught Katsu "gib laut"(give loud) and now she barks before, during, or after doing the said command. She LOVES talking now. "Mom said it's okay!"

Anyways, I'd say the command (gib laut) and then bark myself. It didn't take very long for her to bark back.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsugsd View Post
Tennessee is so right, lol! You sure you want to teach your puppy how to bark?

I taught Katsu "gib laut"(give loud) and now she barks before, during, or after doing the said command. She LOVES talking now. "Mom said it's okay!"

Aanyways, I'd say the command (gib laut) and then bark myself. It didn't take very long for her to bark back.
Iím glad Iím not the only one!

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinoisí love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 03:11 PM

Took my dogs like a day to get this down. One dog responds in both English and German, my GSD only responds to the German command. Basically I found what would cause him to bark, then give him the command and a treat. Eventually he put two and two together.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 06:46 PM

It took my pup until she was about 4/5 months until she started to bark at things. At 2 months anyone knocking at the door she didn't even seem to notice or care, but around 4 months she suddenly became very protective and territorial and started to bark at everything! So I wouldn't worry, it will come We've taught her to bark on command also, but she tends to bark very gently when it's on command vs a very loud territorial bark when she see's something. Not sure why that is!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 12:11 AM

that was one of the things that I enjoyed with Wiena, she was very easy to train. She actually taught herself
to bark on command, not sure how.
I told her one day "you have Bad Breath" and for some reason she went ballistic, just barking like crazy.
So every time I said that, I would get the same response. Finally, I realized it was my tone that was making
her do it because it worked with Big Bird (the helicopter flying overhead), Zombies (on Walking Dead),
Who's There (at the door), Banner Bird (the planes that fly the banners behind them). What a fun girl.
Going from speak, to whisper, to Bad Breath was fun and seeing her figure out going down from Bad Breath
to whisper was great. I have video but not sure how to attach here.

Still missing her terribly!!

tim_s_adams likes this.

The Lovely Wiena 4/14/2005 - 9/6/2017
You are my Heart Dog and I miss you so much
we'll do High 5's when next we meet
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 06:18 PM
Knighted Member

What a great video; oozing with personality! She was a very beautiful dog! My previous dog had a whisper bark as well, we called it the motel bark. But she'd use it at home too if directed to, or when someone came in the house after hours and we were in bed.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim

Last edited by tim_s_adams; 09-08-2018 at 06:23 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:00 PM

I was able to train my puppy to bark in one day and reinforcement took two sessions afterwards.

Which method are using to train a behavior?

I would first evaluate your puppy's engagement prior to training any behavior. I find that once I trigger my puppy's engagement and readiness to work that I am able to train quickly and efficiently, and most importantly to make it fun! It is also important to have a beginning ("Are you ready!?) and end (You're done!!) to each training session.
When you find anything that does cause evoke her to bark - use it to train this behavior with reward(s) and secondary reinforcement.

I used a method as described by Dave Kroyer in his puppy video series that was simple enough.
In the video he emphasizes creating frustration in the puppy while enclosed in a cage (I used a baby gate that blocked off a puppy proof bathroom).
As the puppy becomes frustrated to be on the other side of the barrier she/he will bark and you simply click or 'yes' for the bark and reward. You may create the frustration by enticing her with the food or toy reward.

I can't be certain how quickly it will be trained for a dog who barks only minimally as my girl is quite vocal but it might be something to consider.

I wish you luck!
Happy training

Last edited by Opsoclonus; 09-08-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: + link to Kroyer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page