Teaching the send away (voraus) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Teaching the send away (voraus)

I'm looking to start teaching the send away command. Probably won't be competing in anything, but we're always looking for new things to learn. I've seen a few methods so far, basically one being in a Michael Ellis trailer where he teaches the place command first on a touch pad and then backs the dog up over time. The trailer didn't cover the steps after that.

The second method came from a friend of mine, who trained the send away with his Mal by throwing a ball and giving the voraus command, and then getting to where he could recall him before he reached the ball.

He already knows an "around" command, which just kind of happened organically beginning at like 9 or 10 weeks. If we are within 10' or so of an object, I can point and say "around!" and he will go around it counter clockwise and then return to me and sit like he would on a normal recall.

Have any of you guys seen the whole Michael Ellis DVD on the send away? I'm thinking about grabbing it on demand on Leerburg but wanted to get opinions first. I feel like I might be able to modify that "around" command he knows some how, since it seems like he already has a basis for connecting me pointing at something and giving a command and him going to it.

He's 6 months old, btw. We have been conditioning him to wearing an e-collar for a few weeks now but he has not done any actual training with it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

I started by teaching him to go to a pole. Increased distance and height of pole over time. Now I can take the short pole to anything so associates the send out with that location. Easy peasy. New place. There is your pole. Behind thst pole us your toy. Go get it.

FYI...most trials will either have a football goal or a soccer goal. But there will always be some sort of target for your dog to learn to run towards. Once they have something, a pole or a mat, then it's easy to make the association using that to the new target.
Shane'sDad likes this.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Ah okay thanks. I wasn't sure if there was "always" a destination, or if the goal was ultimately to teach them to just run in a certain direction indefinitely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 02:52 PM

1. Toy tied to post
2. Get the dog amped up
3. Point arm Voraus! and let him get the toy then call him back
4. Increase difficulty over time, mix in Platz! command when you can send out without a toy there.

Don't pull a Michael Ellis and over complicate the matter

Attached Images

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18

Last edited by Tennessee; 08-30-2018 at 02:58 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 03:55 PM
Elite Member

I can't get Inga to stop turning around to face me. She runs out, downs, but has to turn around to face me first.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Elite Member

I just now tried the suspended toy method and it did not work. As usual, she turns around to face me, then downs. So I tried suspended toy within a cattle loading chute- narrow so its hard to turn around. She compresses her body to turn around. The toy is something she really wants- a peanut butter stuffed rubber bone.

He made and loveth All.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I just now tried the suspended toy method and it did not work. As usual, she turns around to face me, then downs. So I tried suspended toy within a cattle loading chute- narrow so its hard to turn around. She compresses her body to turn around. The toy is something she really wants- a peanut butter stuffed rubber bone.
They're too different actions, connected only by the fact that they happen in sequence. The hanging toy method is to motivate them to sprint away from you at top speed on command. It's not designed to teach the down command at all.

Have you dealt with Platz facing a different direction independently of the Send out?

Because that's where I'd start. Unfortunately have no answers to that problem, maybe @Slamdunc or @cliffson1 will be kind enough to share some of their knowledge with us.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 05:22 PM
Knighted Member

I used the ball method, and taught her to platz when she reached it. But she just wasn't able to disconnect running out from me throwing the ball. She couldn't see any reason to go forward without me throwing something. So, I got her food dish, and put some hotdog bits on it... that worked a charm!

The first few times I had to get someone to draw her attention to it by banging it before setting it down. Now she will run out without that, and I've eliminated the food reward until I walk up to her. I am still working on getting her to go from the full distance, though.

What I don't get are the people who encourage the dog to bring the ball back after it gets to it. Why the heck do something that you are going to have to UNtrain?? Eska caught on to doing the platz once she reached the ball really quickly. After all, it's something the dog ALREADY knows from doing the BH - who not start using it as soon as the dog masters the run out? Just DOES NOT make sense to me!

They still get rewarded - I either let her play with the ball, or give her a food reward once I reach her, and have her do the required sit to finish the exercise.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Elite Member

Her command to go out to something (a cow or a horse or a peanut butter bone) is Get It. (Followed by Bring It if she is to bring it to me). So I hang the toy in a tree. She can smell it and knows its there, and with her next to me I say Get It. She runs out looking at the toy. Then I say Down and she turns around first every time. I will try the hotdogs in dish method.

He made and loveth All.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 05:39 PM
Knighted Member

?? Isn't the dog SUPPOSED to turn around and face the handler before it downs? (Goes to check videos...)

I thought you meant she'd turn around when you were trying to send her out!

Edit: okay, most of the dogs kind of skid into the platz so they wind up turned towards the handler to some degree. Have never seen a dog do a platz and stay facing away from the handler. And honestly...how is a dog going to turn to face the handler so it can see what's coming next if it is ALREADY lying down? Just NOT possible!

Last edited by Sunsilver; 08-30-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page