How to stop lead anxiety - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jah271

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Question How to stop lead anxiety

Our six month old puppy is absolutely wonderful and plays lovely with dogs off the lead. However, as soon as she's on a lead she gets very stressed, barking and lunging at other dogs. I don't think this is aggression, but a lot of dog owners seem to be wary and it is quite difficult when we take her out and about (dog-friendly restaurants are a no-no at the moment). I think it could be excitement too, but not sure. Any advice would be appreciated, and if anyone can share any similar stories that would be great pic is her at 3 months... thought I'd share..!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	838b55ad-b37c-4153-b303-d3e471e424bb.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	510667  
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:05 PM

Sounds like barrier frustration.

From what I've been reading, it tends to happen to overly friendly dogs since all they want to do is go over and say hi, or dogs that are used to being able to greet/investigate as they please. My girl has it at the park when another dog is on the other side of the fence. If I can keep her away from the fence long enough, she will ignore the other dog. She's fine at home (we have a dumb white picket fence) and just lays down licking at the neighbor dogs, tail wagging.

There are a few articles out there on how to solve this. Most entail keeping the dog far enough away that they don't "fixate" on the other dog and marking when they look away. I would suggest, since it is a form of aggression, consulting with a trainer before attempting anything.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:51 PM

My shepherd acts similarly when at the park. There's 2 areas, but I have 2 very large dogs and don't trust the training of other peoples dogs so I keep my dogs alone in one area, while most people bring their dogs to the other. My shepherd in particular barks through the fence out of frustration, when I bring him alone I bring him over but with both dogs I rather not risk any issues. He barks mostly because he wants to play and be chased but there's a fence in the way. He'll run along the fence till someone follows him. As for actual on leash issues, I think a big problem is the dog feels as though it's got a lack of control over the situation and they're on neutral territory, which can be scary and frustrating. I meet many dogs with this problem, who lunge at my dogs. My dogs have never had a leash issue, just the fence situation but hopefully someone here will be able to offer a concrete solution for you.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page