Working with cats.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nurse Bishop

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Fae

Working with cats..

So we've had Koda for a couple of weeks now but I've noticed he's become more excited to see the cats than ever. He tunes out all commands while he see's a cat and even isn't distracted by high value treats (like chicken) to which if he takes, he will just drop immediately and go back to the cats. We've tried just having show him the cats, and if he whines or gets excited we close the door on him until he calms down again, then open the door again so he can see them. We've also noticed that he only really follows commands such as sit/down if there is food involved and wouldn't normally if there isn't something he wants in return.

What're some good ways to get him desensitized to my cats? I was thinking of having him stay in a crate while my cats chill in the same room or something.

Both of my cats immediately have the flight in fight or flight, so they run whenever he gets up suddenly or gets too excited over them. One of the cats are still genuinely curious about him as he approaches his kennel/the room that he's in but is too scared to come up too close if he gets up too quickly and what not. He's chased them twice now (on accident) and so they're more prone to run away than anything. Kodas very calm otherwise and likes to just lay near our feet; he's about 4-6 years old. We're thinking of just getting a local trainer in too if we couldn't figure it out at home.

!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Crowned Member

This older thread has some suggestions:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...g-my-cats.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Elite Member

Seems like you are building an obsession with cats. Sees cat>gets a treat> rather look at cats. Or playing peekaboo with seeing a cat. This is what 1 and 2 year old children like, playing peekaboo. It is self rewarding to see a cat. Peekaboo

Howabout nipping this in the bud before he fixates on a cat. Always have a drag line on him. When he first glances at a cat, say NO and say come. Reel him to you and praise and pet lavishly. If fixated on cat say OFF or Leave it and reel him in. Tell him to sit, focus on you and then praise.

I think eventually he will get his eye dotted by a cat but that may not end well. I sent you a PM.
Mary Beth likes this.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:35 PM

My year old male bites at the kitten , chases her , dont pay much attention to our old cat but the kitten is a different story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page