Need help with potty training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Courtney
  • 1 Post By unfortunatefoster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Need help with potty training

Hi. My GSD Puppy is 9 weeks old. I built him a doghouse in the backyard with his food, water etc. That is also where he goes to potty(If I take him there). The problem is he sleeps in my room at night and he has free access to the backyard as there is a security gate for him to go through but someone cant get in. The problem is he does his business in the house but when I am with him in that area he goes outside to do it. How can I teach him to go out at night by himself or is this typical puppy behavior? I am a really heavy sleeper so I won't wake up if he tries to get my attention etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Crowned Member

I have now a 14 week old puppy that I brought home at 8 weeks.

They are literally babies and need guidance from us, we have to physically show them what we want. My puppy sleeps in a crate right by my bed. The first couple of weeks, I had to bring him outside at midnight, 3am, 6am to potty - the times could vary but you get the point. They cannot hold it long. Was I super tired? Yes! lol But it's so worth it to just get them potty trained and be done with it.

I HIGHLY doubt your 9 week old puppy is going to go outside on his own to potty at this age. You also really need to keep an eye on him, to make sure he's safe. He will continue to potty in the house, you will be frustrated and it's going to be a mess. When my puppy went to the bathroom outside, I told him "good boy" and back in the crate he went, I went back to sleep.

Just take him out yourself, seriously.
Sabis mom and Kairo's Dad like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louw Slabbert View Post
Hi. My GSD Puppy is 9 weeks old. I built him a doghouse in the backyard with his food, water etc. That is also where he goes to potty(If I take him there). The problem is he sleeps in my room at night and he has free access to the backyard as there is a security gate for him to go through but someone cant get in. The problem is he does his business in the house but when I am with him in that area he goes outside to do it. How can I teach him to go out at night by himself or is this typical puppy behavior? I am a really heavy sleeper so I won't wake up if he tries to get my attention etc.
He is a baby. He shouldn't be going outside by himself, especially at night. At 9 weeks he is easy prey for predators and still small enough to be tempting to birds. Young pups are by nature still under Momma's watchful eye at this age.
Set an alarm and wake yourself up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 10:53 AM

I take it the puppy is not crated, since you want him to take himself out to potty. I am a pretty heavy sleeper, but a screaming puppy, in a crate, next to my bed has me bolting out of there. The puppy should be crate trained, anyway. Teenage dogs do not distinguish an expensive antique from a marrow bone. I have proof, if you need pictures. You'll save yourself a bunch of trouble down the road by crate training now.
Sabis mom likes this.

No beast so fierce
Simon 6/2016
EPI, man aggressive, ball crazy, fearless protector, my heart
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:52 AM

I would say crate train him first then during the day you can teach him to go through the security gate to go potty. after awhile he'll start going through the gate to go potty and itll get better and better. My 6month old goes and sits by the door every time he needs to go out and my 11 week old is starting to do it as well but its on and off with him lol
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=Courtney;9086355]My puppy sleeps in a crate right by my bed. The first couple of weeks, I had to bring him outside at midnight, 3am, 6am to potty - the times could vary but you get the point. They cannot hold it long. Was I super tired? Yes! lol But it's so worth it to just get them potty trained and be done with it.
QUOTE]

Facts! This is exactly what I did too! Sleeps in crate by the bed also, so I would pick him up and carry him down the stairs, then to the backdoor, then down the porch steps, then place him in the yard at his designated "potty" place. Then, I'd pick him back up and take him back to his crate when he finished. His feet never touched the floor during any of those midnight to 6am potty breaks. Like Courtney, it didn't make for consistent sleep the first week or so, but they catch on quick, and the inconvenience for a week or two is so worth it in the long run. We never had much of an issue with Kairo at all, and I started training him to touch a bell with his nose by the door every time he needed to go outside, which he caught onto before he ever really answered to his name consistently lol.

I think you are expecting a lot our of your 9 week old at this point, just so that you don't have to get up with him at night to take him out. That's part of puppy ownership my friend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page