How to teach respect of personal space? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

How to teach respect of personal space?

My younger dog has no concept of personal space. Zero. He is driving me nuts. Please remember most of my rambling is a bit tongue in cheek...

It didn't help he grew up with stilts for legs, as he towers above my other GSD. He is almost 30" tall now, almost 2yo. I'm not sure if he has something else mixed in (pound puppy) or if this is a nasty side effect of the shelter neutering him at 8 weeks...but my problem has continued to be his behavior. Everything is just such a struggle with him, but he is now bigger than ever. He has come to realize this very much this past month or so.

1. He jumps up on me now and I cannot get him to stop. I ignore him, he just SLAMS into me. I correct him verbally and he cowers. I ask him to sit (with food, even) and he just blows me off or climbs on me as he goes for the food. I am beyond irritated. I'm pregnant, and he hit me right in the abdomen the other day with his big gangly stilt legs. He tried it again the next day and I grabbed him (he is as tall as me when he jumps up) to keep him off of me, just to protect myself. I told him "No", set him down...and he avoided me the rest of the day as if I beat him. He jumps on me like this when I am just walking around the house or yard...just bulldozes right into me. He is like having a bratty young horse!!!!! I'm about to carry a stick around to protect myself. I hug walls but of course, he picks the inch of space between me and the wall instead of the open space on the other side. It feels very disrespectful.

2. Every doorway is like a starting gate at a racetrack. It would be funny if he didn't knock people over. It is RIDICULOUS. I can't open the back door to my house without him running out like the house is on fire. I have tried a few things...
First, distracting him with food to encourage a sit. Didn't work at all. So his reward for himself is going outside, I presume.
Second, physically blocking the doorway. Not doing that again or I will end up in the hospital. He is a huge dog now and he will just bulldoze me. He does it to everyone. He has hurt me every time I tried this.
Third, opening the door slowly. Nope, he will just slam into the door as it opens and knock it off the hinges.
My fourth idea is correcting him on lead, as if he is actually a bratty horse. He sure acts like one. But correcting him (with a prong) usually just makes him upset and freaks him out. He will probably only get more frantic, same as every other instance I have corrected him with one. A head halti makes him panic and snap his head around btw. Also, a no pull harness makes him jump straight into the air, as he learned this still allows him to pull. Ask me how much fun he is to walk/run with on leash lol.
Should I try blocking him with something, as can be done with horses?

3. Just sitting around, finally safe from the horse in my house? Nope. He'll come stick his big stupid face in my face/hair/crotch/whatever I'm holding. He gets extremely offended when I tell him to go away. If I ignore him, he starts climbing on me.

Corrections send him into a panic. Even a stern NO, will get him slinking around my house and side eying me. I know he can sense how upset I am with him, and that I sound angrier than normal. I am angrier than normal. My patience has just about worn away, coupled with fear of him hurting me/my baby. I do not even want to think about him in the same house as my baby right now.

Please help. He has the threshold and attention span of a goldfish. We play and train and I try to keep his mind occupied, but it is never enough. Exercise helps, but again...I can't have him body slamming me and bulldozing me just whenever. I have never been so utterly sick of interacting with or looking at a dog in my own house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 04:58 PM

It's pretty bad when you get to the place where you don't like your own dog.

I did a quick Google search and found these...

Stop Your Dog From Jumping Up : The Humane Society of the United States

https://www.clickertraining.com/how-...or-dashing-dog

Give Me Some Space! Teach Your Dog to Back Off ? American Kennel Club

Kimmy, GSD - 9/2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buckley, GSD - 1/2018
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stella, 100% Mutt - 2/2018

Chester Copperpot, Siamese Cat - 2008 to 2016
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Knighted Member

You need a trainer! Any dog, pound puppy, rescue, or well bred, needs to be taught manners! Since he's now 2 yrs old, it's unlikely that you will be able to gain control without professional help. Find a good trainer BEFORE you get injured!
Aly, Sunsilver, Mudypoz and 1 others like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
You need a trainer! Any dog, pound puppy, rescue, or well bred, needs to be taught manners! Since he's now 2 yrs old, it's unlikely that you will be able to gain control without professional help. Find a good trainer BEFORE you get injured!
And before the baby comes and gets hurt!
Aly, Mudypoz, tim_s_adams and 1 others like this.

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
UFO vom Wildhaus "Archer" 4/30/19
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Crowned Member

Yes. Trainer.

But in the meantime, I would put a prong collar on him, hand a 10' leash to another adult, and when he jumps up on you or anyone else, give him a correction he will remember. Don't say a word. Don't make it personal. Just correct him.

Correcting him with No or yelling at him makes it personal. So he gets upset when you correct him with a prong. It's better than you and the baby getting hurt. You have to be consistent with it.

if you can't do that, then find him a new home before the baby comes.
Aly, MyHans-someBoy and Mudypoz like this.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Along with some of the other recommendations above, he NEEDS a SOLID "Wait" command.

This isn't a formal obedience "Stay", it's a command that means he needs to hold himself together mentally, and hold position physically, and wait for a release word before he can move forward.

"Wait" at every single door. To go outside for bathroom breaks, before you open his crate door, before you let him back inside the house, before you go from the garage to the house, etc. Before he walks through any gate. Every single entry or exit is an opportunity to train and reinforce this. With consistency you will reach the point where he pauses at doors, thresholds and gates and looks to you for the "Okay". This puts an end to door dashing, but you have to be consistent.
Jax08, Aly, Mudypoz and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

He needs basic obedience. He canít jump on you if heís sitting and staying. I agree, you need a trainer now. Itís past bad behavior, he doesnít respect you and he hasnít learned the most basic training. Not only does early speutering make their legs spindly, he didnít have the advantage of hormones during his adolescence years. Hormones help calm and stabilize a dog. If you need a trainer recommendation ask. You can fix it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
My younger dog has no concept of personal space. Zero. He is driving me nuts. Please remember most of my rambling is a bit tongue in cheek...

It didn't help he grew up with stilts for legs, as he towers above my other GSD. He is almost 30" tall now, almost 2yo. I'm not sure if he has something else mixed in (pound puppy) or if this is a nasty side effect of the shelter neutering him at 8 weeks...but my problem has continued to be his behavior. Everything is just such a struggle with him, but he is now bigger than ever. He has come to realize this very much this past month or so.

1. He jumps up on me now and I cannot get him to stop. I ignore him, he just SLAMS into me. I correct him verbally and he cowers. I ask him to sit (with food, even) and he just blows me off or climbs on me as he goes for the food. I am beyond irritated. I'm pregnant, and he hit me right in the abdomen the other day with his big gangly stilt legs. He tried it again the next day and I grabbed him (he is as tall as me when he jumps up) to keep him off of me, just to protect myself. I told him "No", set him down...and he avoided me the rest of the day as if I beat him. He jumps on me like this when I am just walking around the house or yard...just bulldozes right into me. He is like having a bratty young horse!!!!! I'm about to carry a stick around to protect myself. I hug walls but of course, he picks the inch of space between me and the wall instead of the open space on the other side. It feels very disrespectful.

2. Every doorway is like a starting gate at a racetrack. It would be funny if he didn't knock people over. It is RIDICULOUS. I can't open the back door to my house without him running out like the house is on fire. I have tried a few things...
First, distracting him with food to encourage a sit. Didn't work at all. So his reward for himself is going outside, I presume.
Second, physically blocking the doorway. Not doing that again or I will end up in the hospital. He is a huge dog now and he will just bulldoze me. He does it to everyone. He has hurt me every time I tried this.
Third, opening the door slowly. Nope, he will just slam into the door as it opens and knock it off the hinges.
My fourth idea is correcting him on lead, as if he is actually a bratty horse. He sure acts like one. But correcting him (with a prong) usually just makes him upset and freaks him out. He will probably only get more frantic, same as every other instance I have corrected him with one. A head halti makes him panic and snap his head around btw. Also, a no pull harness makes him jump straight into the air, as he learned this still allows him to pull. Ask me how much fun he is to walk/run with on leash lol.
Should I try blocking him with something, as can be done with horses?

3. Just sitting around, finally safe from the horse in my house? Nope. He'll come stick his big stupid face in my face/hair/crotch/whatever I'm holding. He gets extremely offended when I tell him to go away. If I ignore him, he starts climbing on me.

Corrections send him into a panic. Even a stern NO, will get him slinking around my house and side eying me. I know he can sense how upset I am with him, and that I sound angrier than normal. I am angrier than normal. My patience has just about worn away, coupled with fear of him hurting me/my baby. I do not even want to think about him in the same house as my baby right now.

Please help. He has the threshold and attention span of a goldfish. We play and train and I try to keep his mind occupied, but it is never enough. Exercise helps, but again...I can't have him body slamming me and bulldozing me just whenever. I have never been so utterly sick of interacting with or looking at a dog in my own house
I teach my dogs that you push me and I push you. You step on my feet I step on yours. I don't let it devolve into a shoving match but they pretty quickly learn to mind my space. When they jump at me I step into them, then carry on with what I am doing. Shadow likes to steal my spot on the couch, and she was pretty resistant to moving, so I sat on her a couple of times(Not really but enough). Now when I say Move she moves.
Koehlers method for teaching leash manners is still my favorite for inconsiderate dogs, and he also has a door rushing fix that I like for really rude dogs. The nice thing about his method is that you don't correct, the correction is simply a consequence of the dogs own actions.
But basically I always figured a solid sit will cover a multitude of evils, plus its the easiest of all commands to train.
Mudypoz and tim_s_adams like this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:23 PM

Sounds like you know him well and that his habits are predictable. Put a drag line on him, and beat him to the punch...stop letting him practice misbehaving.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:40 PM

I bet you live with a husband/bf, your dog respect him and doesn't jump at him?

Because it seems that you are your dogs equal. Not his alpha/leader. Alpha/leader is your husband/bf? Right?

If I'm right, than is pointless addressing every single issue (jump, door etc.). Only solution is teaching him, that you are not his equal.

And then all bad behavior will go all at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page