Tug I do most the work! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Tug I do most the work!

My dog loves to play! When it comes to tug I do most the work. How can I get him to do more of the work? It is exhausting doing most the work...but with the dog doing most the work I still think it exhausting. What do you need to know to help me to encourage him to pull and yank and twist more? Im not saying he never does, he does the most with DH the least with the kids which I appreciate. Is it more important that he enjoys the game vs who is doing more of the work? He could easily over power me it's almost as if he cares to not over power...but what do I know. I know he cares about his toys is rather gentle with them. He hears a stuffed animal start to rip he stops lol. He is 14 months still has all his puppy toys lol save but 1. Sorry for the wall of text I can never be short to the point. I'm working on engagement all the time with some distractions it is hard. He can spit the toy like a hot rock. So I thought maybe his lack of effort? in the game was a factor. Thanks in advance for any input and/or question to get to that advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:13 AM

I seem to do most of the work too, when I play tug with Scarlet, as opposed to when she plays tug with my older GSD. Those two dig in, and neither one wants to give an inch. They enjoy themselves though. Maybe make a flirt pole and have him chase it out in the yard. My dogs all have liked that.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Honestly I can't believe I don't have a flirt pole already. My cats would love it too, duel purpose. He has great prey drive(yet not seek to kill). I started with a toy on a shoe string. He prefers the chase over a tug. Any suggestions on length of line for the flirt pole for a 14 month old dog? Ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:33 AM

I bought some sort of whip at Tractor Supply and tied a de-stuffed toy to it. Dragged it along the ground.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

How long of a string these dogs are fast. I know you already know lol. Let's see what I can find tomorrow. If they do tug hard I wonder about the pole and string used....
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 07:11 AM
Elite Member

There is a challenge that is starting on April 9th thruough the Collard Schollar face book group that Car2ner linked in another thread a while back. It involves tug play.

The Art of Play: 3 Things You Might Be Doing Wrong | The Collared Scholar The box to sign up for the tug challenge will come up when you click on the link.

I did the last challenge that she put on and had a lot of fun with my boy doing it so this may be just what you are looking for. She does ask that you participate and post but the day to day instructions come through via email.

The last challenge actually helped increase my own personna for play (I'm more quiet so sometimes seems like I'm boring to him. Lol). I've been working on the tug more lately and since there is so much disparity in strength between us, I def do more work. One thing that amps him up is if I pull him into me and start baby talking him, kissing his forehead etc. he immediately kicks it up ten notches and I end up loosing in 2 secs. I really like ticking him off and he gets so proud of himself when he wins.

Anyway, the tug challenge may help.
Bramble, Femfa, KaiserAus and 1 others like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 07:14 AM
Master Member

Meagan Karnes is running a 7 day online tug workshop. It is free so worth checking out.

Engagement Challenge | The Collared Scholar
Heartandsoul likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Elite Member

Lol, the short and the long version of a great online course.
Bramble likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 07:48 AM

I will say that if you aren't huffing and puffing and your heart isn't racing at least a little, you might be doing it wrong. I know my boy enjoys tug more with my hubby. My boy can really test his strength with him. With me he holds back a bit (thank you Patton).

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
One thing that amps him up is if I pull him into me and start baby talking him, kissing his forehead etc. he immediately kicks it up ten notches and I end up loosing in 2 secs. I really like ticking him off and he gets so proud of himself when he wins.
This made me LOL; I had a great mental picture of it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page