Teaching down - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Teaching down

How do I train my dog to respond to a “down” command without having to use a treat to lure him into position? As soon as I start lowering the treat to get him into the correct down position he complies immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:46 PM
Crowned Member

Is there a reason you don't want to lure him? Or are you asking how to progress to not needing the lure?

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I’m asking how to progress without needing the lure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Knighted Member

Luring with treats is for puppies. With an older dog, just stop luring or asking and start expecting/commanding...treating for compliance is fine. But your dog only learns what you teach him. If you've only had him lay down by luring him with treats, he'd be a fool not to hold out for that LOL!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

The general idea is command before lure so he downs ahead of the lure, then you can fade it. Don't rush to it though. I like to do a lot of reps with only the lure at a quick pace and moving around, not being static. At some point he'll start going into downs on his own, offering it. That's when I add the command. The best visual on it, or technique I like the best is Ivan's treat chasing. Personally I think its fine with a dog or puppy. That's one of the benefits of motivation training, you can start it and do things over a lot.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Luring with treats is for puppies. With an older dog, just stop luring or asking and start expecting/commanding...treating for compliance is fine. But your dog only learns what you teach him. If you've only had him lay down by luring him with treats, he'd be a fool not to hold out for that LOL!
I think you should rephrase that: Luring with treats is when you start teaching a command, be it a puppy or older dog.
GypsyGhost likes this.

Did you deserve your dog today?
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evohog View Post
I think you should rephrase that: Luring with treats is when you start teaching a command, be it a puppy or older dog.
Okay, I suppose that's true... No harm in a little luring with an older dog who is learning a new command. But I personally wouldn't use that approach beyond the first time or two, and then would switch to rewarding compliance. With a puppy they're learning body awareness and control and communication all at once, so luring, even without commands, is a great way to help them master those things. And that's why I said that the way I did, to me luring is more of a repetitive body awareness and control learning via muscle memory kind of thing...and with a small puppy I like to continue that for a much longer timeframe, before introducing a command word for that action. But even then once the puppy has shown he understands, I stop the luring pretty quickly, and switch to rewarding compliance...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:35 PM
Master Member

https://www.davekroyer.com/videos/fr...-to-a-behavior
tim_s_adams likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Okay, I suppose that's true... No harm in a little luring with an older dog who is learning a new command. But I personally wouldn't use that approach beyond the first time or two, and then would switch to rewarding compliance. With a puppy they're learning body awareness and control and communication all at once, so luring, even without commands, is a great way to help them master those things. And that's why I said that the way I did, to me luring is more of a repetitive body awareness and control learning via muscle memory kind of thing...and with a small puppy I like to continue that for a much longer timeframe, before introducing a command word for that action. But even then once the puppy has shown he understands, I stop the luring pretty quickly, and switch to rewarding compliance...
I disagree.

Snitches get stitches.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:44 PM
Crowned Member

It can take hundreds of repetitions over a period of time to teach and reinforce a task so it’s proofed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page