BERSERK in the Truck - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down BERSERK in the Truck

I have had 5 Shepherds during my life and this is the first one that just goes completely berserk once inside of my truck. I have literally tried every single training trick I have learned over the years such as Thunder Shirts, calming pills, benadryl, and shock collar. I have to put a muzzle on him and restrain him in a down position with a short lead or he will start biting my shoulder, which can be somewhat dangerous when driving. He can't wait to get in the truck, but that's when the crying and frantic behavior starts once inside. We tried a plastic travel crate on the back seat, but it wasn't long before he literally busted through the door on the crate.

He is a very loving guy and does not exhibit this kind of behavior at any other time.

Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:23 PM
Knighted Member

What do you think the frantic behavior stems from? nervousness, or does he get so hyped up to be going somewhere "drive"?
Have you tried just hopping in the truck and chilling out. no driving just hanging out, pet him maybe give him some food. then exit the truck and put him up. work on length and eventually starting the truck. with an end goal of being able to drive with him being calm. Basic desensitizing.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
What do you think the frantic behavior stems from? nervousness, or does he get so hyped up to be going somewhere "drive"?
Have you tried just hopping in the truck and chilling out. no driving just hanging out, pet him maybe give him some food. then exit the truck and put him up. work on length and eventually starting the truck. with an end goal of being able to drive with him being calm. Basic desensitizing.
OP, I remember one of our LE members, Slamdunc, posting when he got a new dog, Boru, that there were some issues. In that case, though, Boru did not want to get in to the truck, if I remember right. I know for a period of time, he would even put Boru's meals in the truck for him to eat. You might be able to find the thread if you search for it or PM Slam. I don't remember if he did other things first, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page