Down And Sit From A Distance - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Down And Sit From A Distance

So I have a German/Belgian mix, and she knows the basic commands (sit, down, stay, come, etc.), but I don't know how to make her perform these at a distance or, in case of the down, when standing? Example: I call my dog over, crouch down, do the "Down" gesture (tap the floor), and say, "Down." She goes down, but I would like to know how to do that like sit; when I'm standing? Also, how to get her to do Sit and Down when she is 20 feet away from me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:19 AM

For distance work you create distance in small increments.No need to rush the process.Two feet away until that's solid,four feet,and so on.The way I like to do it for every day functional obedience is introduce a Stop/Stay signal.Mine is a referee whistle.He hears the whistle and stops to look at me for further instructions.
The down with only a vocal command can be taught with a leash tug or another way is to teach a down while in motion.My dogs enjoy learning it this way because it's more of a fun game.I hold their collars while we jog a few steps,pause,tug collar down,command Down!Stay!Pause for a moment and keep walking.Just a step or two at first,then return back release and praise.I also nod my head down for a down,raise my chin up for a sit.Not necessary but they respond so well to physical cues that's just my personal preference.
I've got some great videos of distance work with Samson but can't post the darned things on here.Grrr!I've uploaded them successfully elsewhere but can't seem to do here.Good luck and have fun

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:29 AM
Master Member

You do the crouch thing so often that your dog has learned it as a silent conmand. If you need to apply downward pressure on the leash use your foot to push the leash down rather than crouching.

As dogma said you have to build up distance and duration in increments. How do you currently train your dog? What methods, corrections, rewards, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

@thegooseman90 When I review the Down command, I don't use a leash, and instead crouch down and tap the floor for her to go to Down.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 01:28 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booegg7 View Post
@thegooseman90 When I review the Down command, I don't use a leash, and instead crouch down and tap the floor for her to go to Down.
Then if you aren't going to use the leash your best bet is going to be to lure and slowly phase out the motion. Rather than crouching down and tapping the floor just bend at the waist and lure down and into the dog to get the down. Your dog is working off your physical cues, not your words, and your crouch and tap is now a silent command for the down.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:23 AM
Knighted Member

It's all about communication between you and your dog! What works and what doesn't isn't something we can know on the internet! Watch her...what does she REALLY understand. Watch her eyes, watch her body...it's very telling if you're attuned... if not, or if you can't really tell by these things, don't lose heart, just hire a good trainer to help you. There's nothing wrong with admitting you need help, lots of us do! And it can make such an immediate and incredible improvement that you'll be amazed !!! Best of luckv to you!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 AM

I have done a lot of distance training with Nero to the point I could give him a command from the first floor to him in the garden and he will do it first time.

To do this after getting that basic commands with just a simple hand movement and word, for down I point to the floor, to sit I will put my hand to my chest, (or put your hand above your head which causes the dog to look up and courage sit) then increasing the distance one step at a time and always going back after each command (to begin with) to reward.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Stop using the hand motion and be verbal only. She is following your hand not your command. I can tell my guy down no matter where we I am in the house and he will down ASAP.

Archer
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Crowned Member

I always tell my students when teaching sit or down for distance, there are two variable to consider in the repetitions, one is distance from dog and the other is length of time for execution. I never change both variables at same time. I build up length of time dog executes the command than start adding distance, but as I add distance I reduce the length of time for execution, initially!....Then I seesaw back and forth increasing distance, then time, more distance less time, more time, then more distance, less time, etc. I hope this makes sense!
misfits and JessicaR like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Elite Member

If you are wanting them to change positions from a distance, like in AKC UD then I like teaching the Place command. Do it with all my dogs now once I learned about it. Then work on slowly backing up to ask for change of position

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page