Cat and Dog.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Cat and Dog....

Hi!! Happy holidays...

I have a female, 6 month old GSD.. full of energy and who loves to chase and bark and run after cats.
Recently, an abandoned baby kitten just wandered in our properpty and we have been trying to revive it. First time our dog saw the kitten, i had a hard time restraining her, and im sure she would have really gone for it.
Does anyone have experience or advice on how to handle this, and if possible to get my dog to get used to the cat?.. is it even possible at this point...

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 03:41 PM

my puppies have always been trained by the adult cats, so I don't know how to do it the other way. If
your pup already chases cats, it will take a lot of diligence to train them together, perhaps wait until the
kitten is older to introduce them. Keep the kitten in a different room or crate, put towels in the crate to
get the kitten scent all over them. Offer those for the pup to smell, so she gets used to it.
All the years I had dogs though, I never left them together alone, always kept separate when I was
not around to supervise.

The Lovely Wiena 4/14/2005 - 9/6/2017
You are my Heart Dog and I miss you so much
we'll do High 5's when next we meet
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Knighted Member

You didn't say how old the kitten is, but I had a male Shepard about a year old that used to chase cats, and I introduced him to a very small kitten. I just had him lay down, then I showed him the kitten. The kitten wasn't old enough to run, and was not at all afraid of dogs, so it was pretty easy. The dog licked it, and the kitten found a nipple on his belly to suck on, it was very cute! Once the kitten started suckling, my dog just continued to clean him up...and that was it. They were buddies. With a younger puppy it might not go so easy, but I think it mostly depends on the kitten's reaction to the dog.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
You didn't say how old the kitten is, but I had a male Shepard about a year old that used to chase cats, and I introduced him to a very small kitten. I just had him lay down, then I showed him the kitten. The kitten wasn't old enough to run, and was not at all afraid of dogs, so it was pretty easy. The dog licked it, and the kitten found a nipple on his belly to suck on, it was very cute! Once the kitten started suckling, my dog just continued to clean him up...and that was it. They were buddies. With a younger puppy it might not go so easy, but I think it mostly depends on the kitten's reaction to the dog.
I have no idea how old it is... but its very young, it doesnt run very fast at all, and it wouldnt stand a chance in a chase. first time they met actually, the kitten was just laying in the grass, and I didnt even see him either, and luckely my dog was on leash at that time (Which is not normal inside our property but that time we had to leave so I didnt want her to wander off), anyway when I noticed the kitten we were about 3 feet away!, my dog was too busy sniffing and didnt see the kitten either, the kitten saw us but didnt even move. at some point it did move and started to walk away very slowly, at which point my dog just darts and almost pulled me with it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Crowned Member

I would keep them as far away from each other as possible until the kitten is fully healed and strong. Then start from intros 101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page