Save My Face! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member
 
CometDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 1,540
Save My Face!

Valor is VERY handler focused and food motivated, 6 months old.

He jumps at my face to interact with me. I've been doing ignoring and turning my back until he settles, and/or running him through a few basic commands to settle him. Any other suggestions? I have seen other young dogs do this before, to their handler, is it a typical stage?

I *think* maybe he was taught "watch me" with food by the face or in the handlers mouth, which I generally don't do.He was raised until 5 months old in a puppy raising home with lots of kids. He is wonderful with my kids, doesn't jump on them UNLESS it is my 11 year daughter running through commands with him. So now that she has participated in handling him, he now does this to her too. Not to the 2 boys at all, as they do not get involved in training. Doesn't jump on friends either or anything like that. It's like he thinks he is suppose to affectionately nip at his handler's face. Bloody lip and nose so far, on me.

So any tips beyond ignoring and distraction? I don't want to go correction collars at this age, or any age unless it becomes needed.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CometDog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member
 
Mary Beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pierre, South Dakota
Posts: 5,129
My Baron is very food motivated also and has done the jumping up in the face. I agree with you it is excitement. And yes, turning the back doesn't work. What I do is to step calmly forward into his space when he jumps up. The first few times, he simply backed up and jumped again. I stepped forward into his space. He stopped, jumped again. I stepped forward again. He stopped jumping. I just step forward into the space he's left and stop. No talking, no contact. He soon caught on. Then when he did calm down, I started with the training. It also helps to alternate praise with treats. Or even to hold off the treat and give it to him afterwards at the end of the session.
CometDog likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Mary Beth is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Master Member
 
Armistice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Valor is VERY handler focused and food motivated, 6 months old.

He jumps at my face to interact with me. I've been doing ignoring and turning my back until he settles, and/or running him through a few basic commands to settle him. Any other suggestions? I have seen other young dogs do this before, to their handler, is it a typical stage?

I *think* maybe he was taught "watch me" with food by the face or in the handlers mouth, which I generally don't do.He was raised until 5 months old in a puppy raising home with lots of kids. He is wonderful with my kids, doesn't jump on them UNLESS it is my 11 year daughter running through commands with him. So now that she has participated in handling him, he now does this to her too. Not to the 2 boys at all, as they do not get involved in training. Doesn't jump on friends either or anything like that. It's like he thinks he is suppose to affectionately nip at his handler's face. Bloody lip and nose so far, on me.

So any tips beyond ignoring and distraction? I don't want to go correction collars at this age, or any age unless it becomes needed.
It sounds like you're squatting down to his level or bending over? I don't see how he could nip you and catch your face if you're standing up

For jumping, move your body into him. Just take a step toward him. It makes the dog feel unbalanced and they'll get down. No need for a verbal correction either. Do as many times as he jumps and he'll get the idea

Do you play before hand? If your pup has a bunch of energy, you can't really expect him to want to sit still. Go burn off energy. He should then be able to sit still longer, and be willing to be patient. After training, go back to playing
CometDog likes this.
Armistice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member
 
CometDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 1,540
Thank you I am going to try that, moving forward into his space without interaction.

I'm not bending down. I am 4 ft 11 lol. The last handler ( I am his 3rd and last) he was devoted to was 6 ft plus. So he is coming up hot when he does it, and he is as tall as me on hind legs.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CometDog is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Master Member
 
Armistice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Thank you I am going to try that, moving forward into his space without interaction.

I'm not bending down. I am 4 ft 11 lol. The last handler ( I am his 3rd and last) he was devoted to was 6 ft plus. So he is coming up hot when he does it, and he is as tall as me on hind legs.
I was going to ask if you happened to just be very short... I could see your problem. Us 6' tall people are jaded I guess

I don't understand how a trainer would allow jumping NOT on command. I step into my pup if she jumps. If I'm sitting on the couch, she does not get pets until she jumps off. Only when I say "Up" *pats chest* is she allowed to jump on me

Luckily, GSD's are smart dogs. He'll get the picture quickly as long as you stick to it
Armistice is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Joys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 77
Mine is almost 5 months and she’s started doing something similar. It’s more of a body slam when she’s happy.

But my dog is a neurotic nerve bag. Most things she does aren’t normal.
CometDog likes this.

Zelda born 7/6/17

At the bridge; forever in my heart
Brandy rescued Labrador
Oreo rescued Border Collie
Joys is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
JessicaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
It sounds like you're squatting down to his level or bending over? I don't see how he could nip you and catch your face if you're standing up
Not necessarily, Zelda does the same thing when she is over excited, especially to my daughter. She is 5 foot 8 (at 13 years old) and Zelda jumps high enough to reach her face, and that is from a stand still jump. I have seen her jump higher in the yard when she is trying to catch bugs with a running start!
CometDog likes this.

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
JessicaR is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Elite Member
 
Nurse Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Deceased
Posts: 1,759
Man this is a disaster waiting to happen. Stitches. Scars. My dog was suppressed from jumping on people at a very early age. The command is OFF! I don't feed her from my hands either. I do not reward with treats. If I give her something I casually drop it on the floor for her to 'find' or put in her bowl and say Eat Eat!
Nurse Bishop is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 127
My Xena does this as well. I guess its a GSD thing. She had almost stopped jumping but then she started back and worse. I try to ignore but haven't tried stepping into her space. I'll try that tonight for sure. I'm 5'3" so she can't get my face just yet unless I'm bending over.
CometDog likes this.
Dragon67155 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: midwest
Posts: 1,637
2 suggestions. Have him on a lead and step on the lead..then reward when his front feet touch the ground. Also have had luck teaching and "up" command, but only reward when the feet hit the ground with a "good off"..working on that with my Gunny, 5 1/2 months old but tall enough to almost reach my short to the ground face
CometDog likes this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
dogbyte is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome