How do I teach My Shepherd not to accept food from "Strangers" - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By GandalfTheShepherd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

How do I teach My Shepherd not to accept food from "Strangers"

I have been having trouble with a neighbor who keeps throwing food over to my dogs. I have spoken to them and asked that they do not do this, But they have continued to do so. So I am hoping my Dog's are more cooperative and I can teach them to not take food thrown over at them. I have both of them on a strict diet that does not include any human food because it upsets their stomach and I would like to keep it that way. Any Ideas? How do I teach them to not eat what is thrown at them?

Thank you all in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:59 PM

If you aren't seeing it happen I don't think there is much you can do. You could try putting food along the fence line and correcting the dog firmly if they go for the snack...but that doesn't mean that they'll avoid temptation if you aren't there.

Most likely you'll have to be diligent in catching your neighbors at tossing goodies and give them the "really?!? I told you my dogs can't eat that stuff" speech again, and again until they get the idea.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIEC0328 View Post
I have been having trouble with a neighbor who keeps throwing food over to my dogs. I have spoken to them and asked that they do not do this, But they have continued to do so. So I am hoping my Dog's are more cooperative and I can teach them to not take food thrown over at them. I have both of them on a strict diet that does not include any human food because it upsets their stomach and I would like to keep it that way. Any Ideas? How do I teach them to not eat what is thrown at them?

Thank you all in advance!
Honestly? The only methods I have ever seen work well for leaving found food involve serious deterrence.
Sabi was easy. but with my other dogs I settled for a solid leave it and out. That coupled with vigilance on my part does the trick. Over time they learn to distrust found food but I don't know that I would trust it very far.
You could try asking them to leave it and rewarding with something better, but again you would need to be vigilant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 02:24 PM
Elite Member

Oh boy if someone did that to me I would be pissed off!!! If my guy ate a little bit of human food he'd likely end up in the ER vet. I can't give you any advice on the training, seems difficult to do since its every animals instinct to eat.. but I wouldn't be letting the dogs outside alone. I'd only take them out on a leash. If she keeps doing it I would get the police involved depending how much this bothers you, she is essentially throwing her trash over your fence.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 02:23 PM

itll be easier to set up a camera to record your neighbor in the act than tell them hey I have you on video, ive asked once this is final warning. if they continue to do so id personally call the local PD and let them know whats going on.

if my neighbors throw anything in my yard food or not were going to have some problems.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 10:53 PM

Seriously, I'd record them and call the cops. Idiots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page