Help/Advice. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Help/Advice.

Hello,

We have a 2 year old German Shepherd. She is a very good dog, but there is some issues that we are still having with her and not sure how to go about it. My wife and I take her out for walks/runs at least once a day and sometimes twice a day. When my wife walks her she pulls a little, but we are working on it and our dog does fine. When I walk her she does pretty good for the most part, but when come across a fence with dogs on the other she loses her mind. She starts winning, yelping and biting the air. When i tell her no and pull her along it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas on how to deal with this? Also when grab her walking collar and leash she starts whining like crazy and wont quit. How do we go about fixing this?
Also she seems to have attached herself to me out of everyone in our family. My wife says when, I am not home she listens better and never whines, but once I come around she whines and she doesn't listen as well. Any ideas on how to deal with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Knighted Member

When your dog is whining, helping and biting the air she's stressed beyond what she can handle! Correction won't help, and is inappropriate. To help her get over this, I would recommend desensitization. Start by taking her close to these barky dogs, but stop before she's showing stress. Have her sit, praise and treat her calmness. If she's not calm, you're to close. Slowly over time you move closer and closer, always treating and praising her for being calm. Just watch her closely, lip licking is another sign of stress, so if she's showing that or the other behaviors you mentioned, you're moving too fast! It can take months, depending on the dog. I did this with a 2 1/2 yr old female, and it worked beautifully. Within a couple of months we were able to practice general obedience right next to the yappy dogs, and she totally ignored them.

On the whining when you grab the collar, just don't go anywhere until she sits down and is calm. It won't take her long to get the idea.

To get your dog to listen better to your wife have her do some obedience training with the dog. It'll help if she does it correctly, meaning consistent, firm and fair. Don't repeat commands. Do make the training fun.
If done correctly it'll help. If she's unable or unsure how to do it, work with a balanced trainer.

Good Luck!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page