How to release watch command without fully releasing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

How to release watch command without fully releasing?

I am training for duration for the watch command i.e. his eyes are focused on my eyes. My issue is finding a release command for the watch command without fully releasing a command he is already in.

For example, I place my dog in down stay or sit stay and then give a watch command. I am trying to figure out a release for the watch without also releasing the down stay or sit stay, so he is still in a stay but he can look around as he pleases.

This is the same for focused heeling. Let's say we are heeling and his eyes are focused on me, but I want to release him from the eye contact so he can look ahead and observe the environment without releasing him from the heel. I can't find much on how to approach this training issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:50 AM
Knighted Member

I'm not a professional dog trainer by any stretch of imagination, so I was waiting to hear what the pros on here were going to suggest...

But I can tell you how I'd approach this. You'll need a new release word, obviously, and I'd introduce it by marking when the dog looks away. I would start in the down-stay position, just waiting long enough for the dog to look away on his own. Then mark the behavior with the new command and praise/treat/toy while maintaining the down-stay. Eventually the dog will get the meaning. And since you're using a new command, there should be minimal confusion on your current release command.
Wolfhund likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 01:39 PM
Crowned Member

Watch him form the corner of your eyes and wait. As soon as his eyes 'wander', give it a name and he eventually pairs it with the behavior. I would stand right next to him at first to prevent him from breaking the stay. Keep us posted. This is an interesting and possibly a tough one too.
Wolfhund likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:35 PM

Maybe you are over thinking this?The 'watch' is over when you break eye contact.No need for a verbal cue.
tim_s_adams and Wolfhund like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Maybe you are over thinking this?The 'watch' is over when you break eye contact.No need for a verbal cue.
The KISS principle in action! Wish I'd have thought of this.
dogma13 and Wolfhund like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Good thought, but there are times where I want him to look at my eyes/face, but I don't necessarily want to reciprocate that by looking at his eyes. For example, in focused heeling, I am looking straight ahead, but want his eyes focused on my face or eyes.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Trying to think of a cool specific release command for the watch command. Any ideas? First one that popped in my head was OBSERVE. Your ideas would be appreciated! Thanks
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Knighted Member

I like focus.

Tim
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

"AT EASE" popped in my head.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I wonder if Gun Dogs have some good watch release commands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page