Barking at other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Barking at other dogs

Hi everyone I have a seven-month-old male. I have been training him since he was two months and in general he's very nice and he listens he's learning fast and every day gets better but my problem is he keeps barking at other dogs sometimes it's playful sometimes is aggression . I have a pinch collar for about a month so every time he barks I just tug and say "no" but it doesn't seem to work he keeps pulling me scratching me and even one time he barked at me. It is very hard and frustrating to even walk him I want to take him everywhere with me but the barking is pulling me back. Any information would be helpful .Thank you!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:51 PM

Catch him before he gets excited and starts barking and give him something else to do instead.Heel,watch me,etc.Once he starts getting amped up and vocal you've missed the window of opportunity.
GypsyGhost likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I am but for example I went camping for one week and dogs where everywhere he would stop for five minutes and then start again so I had to leave and go back to my tent .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:21 PM

Time to start training so the next trip goes smoother!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

I am training him it's been four months now and everything else is great that's the only problem and to me is the biggest problem.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:37 PM

No where near as bad as the e-collar but have you looked into a spray collar?
My pup hangs out with our older dog in the front yard and the older dog has a habit of barking at everything and anything that moves past our house, so now my pup is starting to do it so Ill be getting him a spray collar this weekend.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer-Hope View Post
I am training him it's been four months now and everything else is great that's the only problem and to me is the biggest problem.
Refer to my first post.Just a No! and collar pop is not enough.Give him something to do before he gets amped up.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much! Hope next year goes smoother
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:56 AM

I have a similar issue, kinda sorta...

When we see a dog on our walks, he usually will just look there, but not mind them. if he stares too long, I'll give a quick pop on the prong collar and continue the walk. He will get the hint, look away and continue to walk. If a dog from a distance barks at him, I do the same thing. I had a viscious GSD with a muzzle walk past us that was barking through the muzzle. He first wanted to bark back, but I had him sit and just "observe" he did very good and just let the dog bark at us while we sat lol. Lady thought I had been training the dog for months and I polittely told her "nope, I just picked him up few hours ago and we're traning to walk and not bark". lol She was amazed...

fast forward to next day. My mom brought her little maltese along and she kept barking at Chase the GSD. with her He kept barking even though I tried to distract him or popped the prong. He'd also start barking when in his crate upstairs and the maltese barked at everyone coming in the door...

I assume it's somewhat normal for the dog to react back to a dog that just barks no matter what (the maltese).?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Knighted Member

OP, I agree with dogma. You have to give your dog something to do before he focuses on another dog. It sounds like you are maybe pushing him past his threshold, as well. He probably cannot handle seeing a steady stream of dogs so close to him. Try taking it back a few steps. Go to a park where there might be a few dogs (NOT a dog park), and work on your engagement with him. Keep him at a pretty good distance from other dogs. You probably need to up his obedience overall. He’s young, things are not proofed yet. Time to start proofing what he already knows so he is reliable in all situations. If you have not already found a good trainer, it might be wise to do so. He’s entering into the most buttheaded part of adolescence, which can be rough.

Train the dog in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page