Jumping on Handler with Reward (How to Teach?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Jumping on Handler with Reward (How to Teach?)

Hi. I have what might be a dumb question... I have seen in a few training videos (obedience) that the dog bounces back and jumps onto the handler after getting his toy reward.

Reward is tossed, dog gets it and whips back to jump up onto handler (like standing against handler), handler plays with dog.

I am assuming the point is to incorporate play with handler into the reward, not just having the reward focus on the toy itself?

If not for any other useful reason other than it looks like fun, I would like to teach this. How does one go about that? My dog gets the rewards and brings it back to me without jumping, should I build on this or start something else entirely?

Thanks

(PS, I know I posted another thread and went AWOL, I was having trouble with the site freezing. I did not acknowledge the replies because I did not want to bring it back up just for that after so many weeks. Just mentioning because I don't want to come off as rude or that I do not appreciate your answers. Thank!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 01:42 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi hylia,

you are right in your assumptions that this is trained behaviour, and the goal is to make the handler the center of attention, not the toy. It isn't so much trained behaviour, as it is foundation training - developing your dog to want to interact with your, more than finding reward in the toy itself.

Easy enough actually, and fun! Play tug with a tug toy , and let your dog win. Always.
Call your dog back, grab the tug handle, and play! Play play play!!! Made the tug play the bestest funnest part of any training session. Won't be long, your dog will be bringing you the tug to engage with you. Perfect way to make OB training fun and rewarding.

You can google "engagement training" for videos that can show you more.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I am at work so must keep my reply quick...

So, I always let her win for now, no more asking for 'outs'?

She does get the toy and come right back to me, but just does not jump up on me. She wants to play with me and toy, but is not 'pushy' about it? (Does that make sense?) So no more 'out' and just play, play, play when she gets back? And that should encourage more pushiness and jumping up?

I just got her about 6 weeks ago so I do know what we have to work on creating a bond. She has good interest in toys, play.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 04:48 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

How old is she?

It might be hard to get her to jump if she has been formerly trained to not jump on people. I do protection sports, so my dogs have never been discouraged from jumping, but at the same time, my adult dog will not jump on me, as he is too polite and respectful. And at 90 lbs, I don't really want him jumping on me full tilt.

I do like a pushy dog though, and playing with a dog that gives 100% to the game is so much fun! I wouldn't out too often. Let the dog feel like they are controlling the game, making you react to their invitation to tug. You can try to encourage pushiness by being pushy yourself. When your dog comes in to you, playfully push her away several times. I don't know her, so I'm not sure how persistent she will be in coming back to you, but it will build her drive. When she ups her energy, play tug with her as a reward. You can shape the timing of the rewards until she is jumping on you.

But be careful what you wish for, LOL! You may live to regret training her to do this.
car2ner likes this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again.

She is 15 months old. She was not raised not to jump, she will jump when I get in, jump on my lap while on computer. I do not discourage, I don't mind. I have no kids in the house so I do not mind a bit of rambunctiousness so long as it is directed towards me, not just random zoomies. The previous owner does IPO an knew what they were doing to start in developing interest for play, ect. But, life happened and they did not get around to doing much, aside starting a bit in obedience. So, she does have a certain base in that way.

I am also probably expecting too much too soon and maybe like you said putting too many rules (outs) on the game. She is just light years ahead of where my other dog was when we got her (training wise), and I might have forgot that she is still a dog that is new to me even though she goes through the motions (if that makes sense), we have to work on building our relationship. And I will try out your tips!

I know what you mean about being careful what I wish for. She is only around 50lbs, so that helps, lol. I find it a lot different than my 72lbs dog, that's for sure.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 06:06 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not sure, but I'm picturing two different things you may be talking about. One is the dog pushing with the toy to get the play started again, the other is a flip finish where the dog jumps into , then turns into heel position next to the handler. Is there one of those that describes more of what you're talking about?

Doc

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Hi Steve, I am referring to the dog pushing with the toy to get the play started again. Would love to learn to teach the flip finish one day, but not there yet, lol.

As a spin off question, I did not really start on any formal ob commands yet as I was thinking it better to focus on developing play, etc , house commands first and give us a chance to get to be better 'partners' before getting into that. Is this a good plan?

Last edited by hylia; 08-06-2017 at 06:29 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

Try this and see how she does. Get her tugging pretty strongly side to side, then slightly towards you, let go but keep your hands out and open while you take a small step back and encourage her to come back towards your hands with it. Its only maybe a foot or so, really short distance. Then try to get a little bit of a rhythm going like a waltz. 1 2 3 release, back to you. See how much energy she'll put into it.

And yeah, your plan sounds good.

Doc

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
I'm not sure, but I'm picturing two different things you may be talking about. One is the dog pushing with the toy to get the play started again, the other is a flip finish where the dog jumps into , then turns into heel position next to the handler. Is there one of those that describes more of what you're talking about?
and I am picturing something else
"Reward is tossed, dog gets it and whips back to jump up onto handler (like standing against handler), handler plays with dog."

do you mean like the first image (woman and wolfhound?) https://www.google.ca/search?q=dog+s...ih=593&dpr=1.5

Carmen

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Hi Carmen, the videos I saw the dog was jumping back on the handler to play, kind of positioned like the Wolfhound but with the paws against the chest, kind of like it was shoving the toy into the handler. Dog could have took his reward and trotted around, but instead came back to handler to play with him and the toy.

I was not sure if this specific position was an intentional when teaching the dog to push to play or not. Essentially, I think I am asking how to teach the dog to be pushy to continue the game with us. Maybe it just so happens that many dogs jump up when they do this? Sorry if I am not clear, I do not really know the terminology.

And... I can't find the videos now, I was just surfing Youtube going by the related videos that come up once you watch one...

Last edited by hylia; 08-06-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page