Train my GS to drink outside - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Question Train my GS to drink outside

We have recently adopted a 3 yr old GS mix. We have a water bowl available to him outside for after walks and when its hot outside. We have found he will not drink water outside. Yet, he will go into the house and drink water! No matter how thirsty he is, he will only drink it inside. The water is always fresh, and we've even tried bringing his inside bowl outside. I've even shown him the water and rubbed some on his nose and mouth to no avail. He will not even hardly look at it outside. Any suggestions how to encourage him to drink it outside?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:14 AM

Will he drink from a water hose?

Jupiter Rising!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:16 AM

Open the door and put his water right inside the door jam inside the house to where he can smell the fresh air feel it and get used to the sensation of drinking outside, even though he is inside. lol I've never dealt with that and it seems crazy but this might be a start.

Jupiter Rising!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Crowned Member

I'd quit giving him water inside and try a bucket outside. Wait him out by not bringing him in till he drinks or bring him in to no water, then take him back out. Make it clear that's where the water is.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:53 PM
Elite Member

Is it hot where you live? My GSD has water outside. But with temps outside in the ninetys she much prefers air conditioned water in the house. Her outside water is like warm bath water.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

How is his behavior/body language when you offer water outside? Have you waited him out like Steve Storm suggested? Where do you live and how long have you had him? What is his history, previous living conditions etc.
Answers to these questions will probably help us helping you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, haven't tried that yet, but I will give it a try! Thank you!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

That's what I was doing initially. But, no give. And its been extremely HOT here in Minnesota as of late! Maybe I do need to stick my guns on that one. I just dont want him to be dehydrated as he is still taking medication (Doxcycline) for a southern lymes disease. Thank you for your encouragement !
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

He simply show NO interest in the outside water. We live in east central Minnesota. Its been extremely hot and humid since we've had him.
He came from Tulsa, OK. We adopted him a month ago. I thought at first maybe it was the taste of the water being so different. We have a well, and its very good water. But thought at first maybe he needed to adjust to it.
I have no idea what his previous living conditions were. We strongly feel he must've been an indoor dog that was only taken out on leashed walks. And, then came in after walking for his water. Hard to tell, but its a gut feeling we have.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

It's been extremely HOT here in east central Minnesota. I make sure to put cold water out for him after every walk. Even gently put some on his nose and mouth, but he doesn't want that water for some odd reason. Maybe it is an old habit that we have to try and break through and not provide water in the house after his walks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page