how to I teach my puppy to fetch - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fodder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

how to I teach my puppy to fetch

My 4 mos old loves to chase whatever you throw, but getting him to return with it is another story
We have tried exchanging out toys, but he drops the other toy before getting to us ( normally as soon as he notices we have another toy to throw) , or stops chasing the original toss to come back and wait for the next throw. Mostly , he just gets it and takes off for the nearest bushes to lay down and chew his prize.

Playing fetch exhausts me more then him I think ! i thought as he got older it would come to him but it is not improving .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:45 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Backchain - start by training the end of the behavior, and work your way back towards the beginning. Not only is it easier for the dog to grasp the behavior you expect than throwing the ball and trying to get him to bring it to you and then give it up, backchaining also tends to strengthen the end of the behavior, which in this case is exactly what you want: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post7914753

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
My 4 mos old loves to chase whatever you throw, but getting him to return with it is another story
We have tried exchanging out toys, but he drops the other toy before getting to us ( normally as soon as he notices we have another toy to throw) , or stops chasing the original toss to come back and wait for the next throw. Mostly , he just gets it and takes off for the nearest bushes to lay down and chew his prize.

Playing fetch exhausts me more then him I think ! i thought as he got older it would come to him but it is not improving .
I do it a little different, as far as back chaining. First I do what your trying, to create a fast play retrieve. I start younger so its a little easier to find a place, but try finding somewhere he can't run off. After you throw the first one, try keeping the second one out of sight a little longer as you call him to you. In the beginning, I don't worry about how far he brings the first one back before he drops it. Its more about creating the pattern of out and back, when that's solid I can add the control of making him pick up the first one if he drops it early.

Or you can do it with one toy, like this. Some people are against using two ball period, but either way its about creating that pattern in both methods:

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 01:43 PM

I think you'll see that there are slight variations of each method and you'll need to adjust / fine tune / combine things according to your individual dog.

If you have a dog that enjoys tug, I'd totally use that to your advantage. I work in the blind community where interactive toys/play are maximized - i.e., the toy only has value if I'm attached to the other end of it (in that context it prevents keep away or dogs taking off and just playing with the ball where the handler is unable to locate them).

Initially what I'm looking for (in a room or on leash) is a good game of tug where the dogs response when I let go of the toy is to present it to me to engage in more tugging. When this behavior is there... you can release the tug while taking a few steps back, making the dog travel towards you in order to engage. Now you have a dog bringing a toy to you. Incorporate either a "that's enough" release to you, or "drop it". Now that you have the toy, toss it a short distance and start backing up with encouraging verbal or body language once the dog has the toy and increase space / distance / off leash as the dog progresses.

I use the two ball or two toy method only to develop the tug response.... keep an identical toy behind you and out of sight while tugging with the other. When you release the first toy to the dog it becomes "dead" and immediately you present the second toy while moving it about wildly - typically the dog will lose interest in the dead toy and go for the "live" one. Rinse and repeat.

When I have the behavior I want, I put a command on it and start to generalize...especially since it's not always easy or possible to tug with a ball.
Muskeg likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page