Rough Play with our New Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
lexiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 569
Rough Play with our New Puppy

Hey, everyone. Vesper is doing much better with her reactivity problems. We had a private trainer come into our home, and she gave us some really good advice involving calming signals and rewarding the proper types of behavior.

Fast forward to now, and we have introduced a new puppy into our home. Her name is Rory and she is a miniature goldendoodle. Vesper tries to be gentle with her, but sometimes gets over-excited and tries to play way too rough. Has anyone else ever encountered this? Rory is way too small to engage in some of the play that Vesper tries to initiate, although she is always willing to play.

For reference, Rory is about 4 months old (we adopted her on March 31st), and only 13 pounds. Vesper is two years old and weights around 70-75 pounds. They absolutely love being with each other, but the rough play worries me and frankly makes me upset. When Vesper gets in that mood, she is very hard to deter.

We have been trying to take Vesper out of the situation when this happens, but she doesn't seem to be catching on at all. She just jumps right back into rough play after her "time out."

Annnd of course here are some photos of our girls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0032.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	423817   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0060.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	423825   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0065.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	423833   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0087.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	423841  

~Vesper~March 28, 2015
lexiz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 AM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 13,917
how much do you like Rory?

Carmen

**********


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carmspack is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
lexiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
how much do you like Rory?
We love her. Why do you ask?
lexiz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
NancyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 16,534
I think maybe because the challenge with raising a puppy around a dog who has reactivity problems often results in the new dog also developing the same problems. I saw that with two of mine. Toby passed his problems onto Cyra.

When Beau came along I had a female this way - Cyra- (and yes she accepted a puppy into the fold) and I kept interactions between them short and never let them play together because she did not have the "normal" set of canine interactions hardwired. Fortunately I had an adult male -Grim- who did and he, not she, was Beau's "mentor"

Maybe that is where Carmen was going.

Nancy



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
NancyJ is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
lexiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
I think maybe because the challenge with raising a puppy around a dog who has reactivity problems often results in the new dog also developing the same problems. I saw that with two of mine.

When Beau came along I had a female this way (and yes she accepted a puppy into the fold) and I kept interactions between them short and never let them play together because she did not have the "normal" set of canine interactions hardwired. Fortunately I had an adult male who did and he, not she, was Beau's "mentor"

Maybe that is where Carmen was going.
I see what you mean. However, we got a temperament tested goldendoodle for this very purpose. She is very resilient and does amazingly well with other people and dogs. At this age, Vesper was already showing reactivity. Rory isn't that way at all. I understand that Ves doesn't play appropriately in every situation though, which is why I am asking for help. She does very well until she gets really excited. Even then, she tries to be gentle but she is just much larger than Rory. I understand concerns that people would have with it, but our trainer has been helping us, and I trust her opinion. I just thought I would come to the forum for different perspectives.
lexiz is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:04 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
NancyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 16,534
I would just not let them play. The pup does not need to "play with other dogs" TRUST ME. Many people keep their pups perpetual puppies and the best thing you could do is find some solid adult dogs around which to socialize her. Dogs who will not play with her but tolerate her puppiness and show her proper interaction. I would also not do any puppy play dates with her. My dogs are working dogs but this approach has left me with the most stable adult dog ever. One who could care less about meet, greet and play with other dogs and one who even has the skillset to deflect snarky dogs. The other dogs are just "part of the background" to him. That is what my advice is
carmspack likes this.

Nancy



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
NancyJ is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
lexiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
I would just not let them play. The pup does not need to "play with other dogs" TRUST ME. Many people keep their pups perpetual puppies and the best thing you could do is find some solid adult dogs around which to socialize her. Dogs who will not play with her but tolerate her puppiness and show her proper interaction. I would also not do any puppy play dates with her. My dogs are working dogs but this approach has left me with the most stable adult dog ever. One who could care less about meet, greet and play with other dogs and one who even has the skillset to deflect snarky dogs. The other dogs are just "part of the background" to him. That is what my advice is
Yes, I agree! Thank you. She really only plays with Ves because they are around each other so much.
lexiz is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 01:02 PM
Crowned Member
 
wolfy dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 9,465
You have two females, which can cause problems once Rory gets more mature, especially since Vesper has her own issues. Be vigilant. I would not let them play rough. It can also cause Rory to get dog reactive if she is being pushed too much. I would have your trainer monitor their dynamics on a regular bases.
wolfy dog is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 13,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiz View Post
We love her. Why do you ask?
because the older dog has no training , and time out does not connect the dots or train her anything and the older dog is using the little fluff as an animated toy and because of the size and difference in dispositon --- ha ha ha , taking a breath here -- and your undisciplined reactive older dog gets really excited -- and is too rough -- and there is nothing sweeter to take a dog out of the controllable zone than the prey victim squeals .

sorry I saw a bouvier and the persons resident toy poodle , a senior dog , engage in play that quickly changed into the poodle being mauled - the more it panicked the more the bouv zoned out - till the poodle was picked up and playfully flipped into the air - caught and then ripped ap

You've got to keep the little guy safe .
Aly, Sunsilver and Nurse Bishop like this.

Carmen

**********


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carmspack is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
lexiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiz View Post
We love her. Why do you ask?
because the older dog has no training , and time out does not connect the dots or train her anything and the older dog is using the little fluff as an animated toy and because of the size and difference in dispositon --- ha ha ha , taking a breath here -- and your undisciplined reactive older dog gets really excited -- and is too rough -- and there is nothing sweeter to take a dog out of the controllable zone than the prey victim squeals .

sorry I saw a bouvier and the persons resident toy poodle , a senior dog , engage in play that quickly changed into the poodle being mauled - the more it panicked the more the bouv zoned out - till the poodle was picked up and playfully flipped into the air - caught and then ripped ap

You've got to keep the little guy safe .
You have no idea what you're talking about so I'm not even going to try to correct you. Thanks anyway though. Move along.
lexiz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome