Would this work? - Canine Good Citizen Test - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Slamdunc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Would this work? - Canine Good Citizen Test

Hey everyone not sure if your remember but awhile ago I mentioned getting Bane certified and his test is next week! During class he goes through each test with a slip lead really well!

Unfortunately - as of the last class we are failing one section of the class. (Supervised separation) which has only started getting worse recently. We believe it is because we had left him for a weekend with a friend and another dog in which he got hurt (hot spots from bites) He starts yelping and barking when we leave. (It doesn't help that where we leave is towards the exit)
*He is no longer allowed to play with this dog which we previously trusted the owner to separate them as required.

In preparation of next week I was wondering if we could practice something along the lines of
1. Giving him a command to wait with a person? And at first just take a few steps away and then out of sight. (then increase duration)
2. Should we give him a treat when we come back like a place/stay command - or should the person holding him give him a treat?

I really wish we had more time to test it at the place but we had no idea until the class that he would react this way. If anyone has better suggestions please let me know

I wouldn't be upset if that was the reason we failed - he has come a long way since we started. (He just turned 1)

Edit: He has to look not stressed for the duration of 3 minutes and the tester/stranger is allowed to pet him and what not to help out. I think a few whimpers are okay but barking and obvious stress (ie. panting heavily) is a fail

Last edited by le.tetrish; 05-15-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:28 AM

I would start doing the down stay in different places and vary the time you are gone. You have a behavioral and an obedience issue to work through. I would try to get the dog up to about a 10 minute solid down stay, even though only 3 minutes is required for his CGC.

I would move further away and return when he is calm and reward very calmly. Then walk away again and return when he is calm. Vary the time and gradually increase the distance until you can step out of sight. Then repeat with you going out of sight and returning.

Be very careful to not have the person with him praise or reward the dog when he is anxious. This will just encourage the anxiety and tell the dog that being anxious, nervous, etc is ok.

Also, be careful with your praise and reward each time you return. Praise calmly and softly, too much verbal praise or petting will cause the dog to break. If the dog understands the down / stay then a correction is needed for breaking. For this dog the correction may only be a strong negative marker. A firm, calm "quiet" may help when the dog is barking, but this behavior is unacceptable.

I'm not sure this is something that you can fix in a week. If it is only related to his experience when you were away you should be able to. It's is kinda of odd behavior, I would think there are some other underlying insecurities that are beginning to surface. You need to be really clear when dealing with this, very calm and very clear in your communication. The 3 minute down / stay should not be difficult to train and I wouldn't accept this behavior. I would take a bunch of steps back in training and work on a 5 minute down stay with you next to him. Then progress to moving further away. I would back tie the dog and ensure that he could not break. I would let the dog know verbally that the barking, whining is not acceptable. I would not praise, pet or console the dog when it is "acting out," barking or whining. Be very matter of fact and don't give the dog any satisfaction from that behavior.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
I would start doing the down stay in different places and vary the time you are gone. You have a behavioral and an obedience issue to work through. I would try to get the dog up to about a 10 minute solid down stay, even though only 3 minutes is required for his CGC.

I would move further away and return when he is calm and reward very calmly. Then walk away again and return when he is calm. Vary the time and gradually increase the distance until you can step out of sight. Then repeat with you going out of sight and returning.

Be very careful to not have the person with him praise or reward the dog when he is anxious. This will just encourage the anxiety and tell the dog that being anxious, nervous, etc is ok.

Also, be careful with your praise and reward each time you return. Praise calmly and softly, too much verbal praise or petting will cause the dog to break. If the dog understands the down / stay then a correction is needed for breaking. For this dog the correction may only be a strong negative marker. A firm, calm "quiet" may help when the dog is barking, but this behavior is unacceptable.

I'm not sure this is something that you can fix in a week. If it is only related to his experience when you were away you should be able to. It's is kinda of odd behavior, I would think there are some other underlying insecurities that are beginning to surface. You need to be really clear when dealing with this, very calm and very clear in your communication. The 3 minute down / stay should not be difficult to train and I wouldn't accept this behavior. I would take a bunch of steps back in training and work on a 5 minute down stay with you next to him. Then progress to moving further away. I would back tie the dog and ensure that he could not break. I would let the dog know verbally that the barking, whining is not acceptable. I would not praise, pet or console the dog when it is "acting out," barking or whining. Be very matter of fact and don't give the dog any satisfaction from that behavior.
Thank you this really helps alot! We actually started doing the down stay in aisles of the nearby pet store as per the suggestion of the trainer of the class. While this is something we'd like to get past in a week. We are not just trying to past the test and will be working with him afterwards to gain his confidence back.

It is really odd as previous weeks before the incident with the other dog- bane would whine/whimper during this part of the test in the beginning but only for a few seconds and would be fine for the duration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page