My GSD does not like to be spooned - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

My GSD does not like to be spooned

But I want to spoon her!

When she was a pup she would gladly spoon with me as we drift to sleep. However, now my 6 month old would rather dig the bed or lay stretching on the other side of the bed or jump on top of me instead of spooning with me as we sleep

How do I teach her spooning with me is the best thing ever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Elite Member

Mine doesn't want to be cuddled on the sofa either. Nothing I can do but let her be until she feels like a little contact. Sure can't force it. I guess you could try depriving her of physical affection until she wants it?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
Mine doesn't want to be cuddled on the sofa either. Nothing I can do but let her be until she feels like a little contact. Sure can't force it. I guess you could try depriving her of physical affection until she wants it?
My pup despite liking being near me is not super into physical affection and I suspect I would deprive myself first before managing depriving her lol. What I have been doing right now is to whine in bed whenever my pup moves too far away for me to reach her so that she would come back to check on me and I would be able to cuddle with her again. But now she is getting resistant to my whining lol.

I of course won't force it, but I hope I can get more cuddling!

Last edited by JaydeY; 04-22-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Elite Member

I don't know anything about spooning or whining, my pup has slept in a crate since day 1 and will her whole life. I do know if you want to teach your pup something, you have to out will them..some dogs just aren't cuddly.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:32 PM
Crowned Member

Get a lap dog. They love to cuddle.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:06 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Get a lap dog. They love to cuddle.

GSDs aren't lap dogs!?!?!?

I need to have a TALK with Mako then... the lying little whelp...

@JaydeY

Some dogs just aren't cuddlers. My GSD is a super snuggle bunny. I'm talking forceful cuddles. Like he is trying to meld with my soul through the cuddles. I've also had one on the other end of the spectrum that did not like to be petted at ALL though.

Nothing you can really do to train the dog to like it. But your pup is young. I've heard of some aloof pups becoming cuddle monsters as the got older. And vice versa. They go through their phases.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:12 PM

Get a body pillow and leave her alone

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

OP, I recommend that you take some time to read Patricia McConnell's class book on dog behavior, The Other End of the Leash. It does a wonderful job of helping to bridge the understanding gap between our primate brain's perception of body language and touch, and the canine brain's. I have a hunch if you take the time to read this wonderful book, you'll have fresh perspective on the answer to your question.
carmspack, Liffey and JaydeY like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post

GSDs aren't lap dogs!?!?!?

I need to have a TALK with Mako then... the lying little whelp...

@JaydeY

Some dogs just aren't cuddlers. My GSD is a super snuggle bunny. I'm talking forceful cuddles. Like he is trying to meld with my soul through the cuddles. I've also had one on the other end of the spectrum that did not like to be petted at ALL though.

Nothing you can really do to train the dog to like it. But your pup is young. I've heard of some aloof pups becoming cuddle monsters as the got older. And vice versa. They go through their phases.
Mine think they are too, but not the way the OP wants.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Knighted Member

Well my GSD sadly isn't cuddly. Since I'm a very tactile person, that's not easy. We compromise, he tolerates my hugs and I respect his space the rest of the time.

As to the bed, it could be a couple of things. 1. Your dog isn't cuddly right now, but as it matures it may become more so. Varik didn't want ANY affection (too busy) until he was at least 6 months old. Even then--and now--he usually only solicits butt scratches. 2. Your dog doesn't care for it and won't ever really enjoy it. 3. It's too hot for cuddling. I know my GSD gets warm easily and often shifts from spot to spot.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page