The whining. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

The whining.

My girl, Ellie, has done fantastic with learning her "place" command. She knows that she's expected to stay put on that object until she is "free!", but she definitely lets us know that she is NOT happy about it. She knows better than to bark, but I think she sees whining as her way around it- and it is quite possibly the most obnoxious sound I have ever heard. I want her to be able to stay where she is and RELAX, but she is such a drama queen, lol! Any ideas on how to correct the whining?? She just turned one in February so I know she's still young, but any insight you guys have is appreciated, as always!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:59 PM

I was going to post a similar thread when I saw yours. We might be experiencing the same whine. The "I can't relax I'm anxious" whine. Orion is a one-year-old intact male. He also has an impatient whine but his occurs when we're in the car and he's arriving at the park, my parents, home, etc. He does not whine like this outside the car unless there is a dog in heat on the other side of the fence. It is the loudest and most obnoxious high pitched whine I've heard come from a dog and sometimes he's shaking when he does it. Being that we're in a car and I'm often alone and driving, it's extremely difficult to manage. I believe we have the same issue but under different circumstances. I added this here to hopefully encourage discussion and not start a second thread. I am looking for tips, tricks, and training technique to alleviate this anxiety in Orion.
kenzandel likes this.

I never thought I'd own a German Shepherd.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:05 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

What do you do when Ellie whines? If she gets attention for it she'll likely continue. Once you put her in her place, provided she will stay there (you can tether her if necessary), simply ignore her. Don't look at her, don't talk to her, act like she doesn't exist. If she's whining for attention and doesn't get it, the whining will eventually extinguish. You can also make a special point of acknowledging her when she's NOT whining. Calm, quiet praise would be best, so she doesn't get amped up again.
Aly, wolfy dog, kenzandel and 1 others like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:48 PM

I don't have as much experience as others but... all dogs are different. Some are 'leaky' and nervous and will whine/talk when they are excited or anxious. Just part of their personality as far as I can tell, just like people. When some people get frustrated/anxious/nervous it's hard for them to shut up - just like some dogs

Not to diminish your dog at all - I'm just offering my thoughts here. Most of these dogs are exceptional, it's just GSD tend to be vocal about A LOT of things

We just got a new pup and she's finding her voice now - awesome to watch them grow!

Something I would google is called 'sitting on the dog' - might be helpful
Chip18 and Ava&Phoenix like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSKY View Post
I was going to post a similar thread when I saw yours. We might be experiencing the same whine. The "I can't relax I'm anxious" whine. Orion is a one-year-old intact male. He also has an impatient whine but his occurs when we're in the car and he's arriving at the park, my parents, home, etc. He does not whine like this outside the car unless there is a dog in heat on the other side of the fence. It is the loudest and most obnoxious high pitched whine I've heard come from a dog and sometimes he's shaking when he does it. Being that we're in a car and I'm often alone and driving, it's extremely difficult to manage. I believe we have the same issue but under different circumstances. I added this here to hopefully encourage discussion and not start a second thread. I am looking for tips, tricks, and training technique to alleviate this anxiety in Orion.
Yes, our situation sounds VERY similar!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
What do you do when Ellie whines? If she gets attention for it she'll likely continue. Once you put her in her place, provided she will stay there (you can tether her if necessary), simply ignore her. Don't look at her, don't talk to her, act like she doesn't exist. If she's whining for attention and doesn't get it, the whining will eventually extinguish. You can also make a special point of acknowledging her when she's NOT whining. Calm, quiet praise would be best, so she doesn't get amped up again.
We've been doing our best to ignore it, but she does get the occasional "Be quiet," which probably isn't helping since she's being acknowledged. I will have to make more of an effort to pretend she just isn't there.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjo View Post
I don't have as much experience as others but... all dogs are different. Some are 'leaky' and nervous and will whine/talk when they are excited or anxious. Just part of their personality as far as I can tell, just like people. When some people get frustrated/anxious/nervous it's hard for them to shut up - just like some dogs

Not to diminish your dog at all - I'm just offering my thoughts here. Most of these dogs are exceptional, it's just GSD tend to be vocal about A LOT of things

We just got a new pup and she's finding her voice now - awesome to watch them grow!

Something I would google is called 'sitting on the dog' - might be helpful
I do think that part of it is just her personality- she's bossy and dramatic and VERY loud, so I probably should have expected this from her I'll look into that, thank you!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:03 PM

I wanted to give this a little bump to see if anyone else in the community might have a solution for us. Today is park day and I know that within 1 mile of the park he will know where he is and what is down the road and start squealing/whining. It's very loud. Would love to find a solution to train this out of him.

I never thought I'd own a German Shepherd.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzandel View Post
I do think that part of it is just her personality- she's bossy and dramatic and VERY loud, so I probably should have expected this from her I'll look into that, thank you!!
I also think in your case would be best to just ignore it, dont look at the dog and dont praise it when whining. Maybe also giving a treats when being quiet.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:57 AM

I was going to ask the same thing about the whining in car, but since the question is asked here and topic is whining, I am trying here first. I have the same problem as Bosky, the dog is whining in the car (crated), but ONLY when turning into a known road which means fun or ALWAYS on dirt roads (many dirt roads do mean we are going to something fun, which she has apparently learnt). I have looked for answers but havent really found it yet. What is the best technique for stopping the whining? Driving lots of dirt roads without anything happening (should I still take the dog out of the car and back in or just drive the roads?), braking when the whining starts and telling "quiet!"?, stopping the car until it ends?, using a leash from the crate to the front seat and popping it when whining? What really works ?? (Sorry for the packed text, cant change lines for some weird reason.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page