Jumping- I'm missing something - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sunsilver
  • 1 Post By Femfa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Jumping- I'm missing something

Hello everyone,

We're new here, so I apologize if this has been covered (I am sure it has, but can't find the threads). I have a year and a half year old GSD/Siberian Husky. He isn't aggressive, at all. But, he craves attention from strangers, especially those idly standing around at the dog park, or from guests that come into our home.
HE WON'T STOP JUMPING. He's getting better about the guests, I've been bribing friends with dinner to come over and IGNORE him when he jumps, only pet him once he is behaving. Some won't pet him until he sits, which is awesome of them.

But the dog park is a nightmare. I don't even want to take him anymore. I bought an e collar, but he doesn't seem to notice it at all. He will follow a recall, but only after he has jumped on the stranger to say hi. And, 99% of the people at dog parks naturally push him away are just don't mind, which only reinforces the behavior because it's still attention.

We are going to be moving into a condo (unfortunate, but i'm not getting rid of him because of this circumstance), and I'd like to be able to take him to dog parks to get energy out and let him be a dog. But I may just have to resort to long walks, and letting him run around empty tennis courts or something. Not that I'm complaining, as it'll definitely build our bond together. But I want him to be able to be off least without needing to say hello right to everyone's face.

Any advice?? Am I over-valuing the dog park for exercise? I've had him since he was a pup, and he's basically my world. I just want him to have a happy existence, but do so without jumping up to say hello. What am I missing here? This is my first GSD and the first dog I've ever had as a true puppy.

Sorry for the long-winded question, but thank you to those who answer seriously!

Torri and Sylas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Knighted Member

This dog needs to learn about not jumping up on people in an environment where you have more control. Taking him to the dog park is just reinforcing the bad behaviour, because as you say, he still gets attention.

I would suggest finding a really good trainer, and taking him to classes where this behaviour can be dealt with.

It's an important rule of training to never let your dog be in an environment where you can't correct the behaviour you're trying to extinguish.

For example, if I have a dog that has trouble with his recall, he doesn't get off a leash or long line until the problem is fixed. (Or if he's off leash, it's in an enclosed area, where he can't run out on the road and get killed...)

Yeah, it may seem harsh, but harsher yet would be having him knock someone over and hurt them, then sue you for having an out-of-control dog. It actually happened to neighbours of ours, whose exuberant lab knocked over their eldery, infirm neighbour.

Re: the e-collar - huskies have REALLY thick coats, so I wonder if the prongs are actually making contact with his neck. Get extensions for the prongs, or you may even have to shave the spot on his neck where the prongs sit. Also, as I've found out with my German shepherd who needs to be disciplined for barking when I let her out for a late night pee, the collar has to be fastened REALLY tightly for a dog that has a heavy coat. One notch too loose, and she totally ignores it!
Aly and Chip18 like this.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 04-09-2017 at 01:11 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the thorough response. I was half expecting something along those lines. No more dog parks, and more leash training it is then.

I think I'm going to just return the e collar for now. Work with a trainer, and see if we cant get somewhere without it. Looks like I'll have to purchase a longer pronged one anyway if it does need to be resorted to.

Again, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Master Member

Agree with Sunsilver 100%.

Another thing to consider is ignoring your dog at all times when YOU come home, too. An important component to training a dog to stop jumping up is to prevent them from ever doing it at all. If he's allowed to jump up on you, why shouldn't he be allowed to jump up on everything? Consistency is important, and it has to start with you. If you pet him, get excited with him, get down and let him jump on you when you get home, then the behaviour is reinforced and you trying to break it with other people will be very, very difficult. Once he's consistent with you, that's when I'd start introducing training challenges like having guests come over.
Sunsilver likes this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page