not walking nicely when with wife... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

not walking nicely when with wife...

Barun is two years old and walks fine on the heel position. However, when my wife joint us (not to often) he breaks the heeling constantly. If my wife get behind of ahead of us he will start crying, whining loudly, and having a separation anxiety. Even is the distance is just a few feet. If my wife holds the leash and I walk away he will have the same anxiety. I'm sure this could be solve with some work and patience, but not sure how to address it, or the steps to follow in order solve it. I don't have any trainer available where I live, so I would appreciate all the help I can get. BTW when we leave the house we don't have this problem. Thanks for your tips and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Crowned Member

Max was like this in family walks as a pup and if someone wandered off or way ahead during the walk he would want to pull to bring them back or catch up with them. We did all kinds of things walked opposite direction and so forth, heel, did not join the group until he settled but what really worked was when he was in lead of the group it was only when we had nice walks. He did not get to practice any bad behavior this way. It took a while and any many group walks later but now he is content in any order of the walk. He is two and half now and did take time. He still does not like if any one wanders off to far but more watchful then a nusance. I think with maturity is were the improvement came from. When the kids play in the trampoline in the back yardZ I have to keep max in or he can get hurt. If he goes underneath the trampoline or wants to put his pads on the mat- which he can get his paw caught in a spring. I heard this happens to a dog and mangled the paw. This is when he would squeal like a baby pig as he so wants to be out there with the kids. I would have to leash him and sit down at the table until he relaxed.

Last edited by Jenny720; 04-06-2017 at 10:41 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:28 AM

Practice makes perfect. Anytime he starts to do this, change directions. I know it sounds silly. And you may have to do it 20 times in a row. But he will quickly learn that no matter what he has to do his job no matter who is around or where they are.
Just keep practicing.
And be sure when you turn around on him if he does not follow to give a correction tgen remind him what he is supposed to be doing. By saying heel or whatever your command is.
Stay consistant. And he will do just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Max was like this in family walks as a pup and if someone wandered off or way ahead during the walk he would want to pull to bring them back or catch up with them. We did all kinds of things walked opposite direction and so forth, heel, did not join the group until he settled but what really worked was when he was in lead of the group it was only when we had nice walks. He did not get to practice any bad behavior this way. It took a while and any many group walks later but now he is content in any order of the walk. He is two and half now and did take time. He still does not like if any one wanders off to far but more watchful then a nusance. I think with maturity is were the improvement came from. When the kids play in the trampoline in the back yardZ I have to keep max in or he can get hurt. If he goes underneath the trampoline or wants to put his pads on the mat- which he can get his paw caught in a spring. I heard this happens to a dog and mangled the paw. This is when he would squeal like a baby pig as he so wants to be out there with the kids. I would have to leash him and sit down at the table until he relaxed.
Thanks. I have hope now!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtzcc View Post
Practice makes perfect. Anytime he starts to do this, change directions. I know it sounds silly. And you may have to do it 20 times in a row. But he will quickly learn that no matter what he has to do his job no matter who is around or where they are.
Just keep practicing.
And be sure when you turn around on him if he does not follow to give a correction tgen remind him what he is supposed to be doing. By saying heel or whatever your command is.
Stay consistant. And he will do just fine.
I will try and practice that. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page