Help needed with GSD training. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LuvShepherds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Help needed with GSD training.

Hello
I need help with my GSD, He is obedient up until he sees another dog and then there is the pulling and not listening to my commands like i don't even exist. I can barely hold him as he is 11 months old. Any suggestions or should i send him to a trainer.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170314_083456.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	412585  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:30 PM

Don't send him to the trainer, take him to the trainer. You'll have to learn just as much as he does. Make sure you go to someone who understands strong dogs. Just offering him a treat whenever he sees another dog won't do much. My boy didn't get to play with other dogs so wanted to meet and greet. He would get frustrated by not being allowed to. I took classes with him and let the instructor know what I wanted. He already knew the basic commands. We needed to practice him being near other dogs calmly, not expecting to play or get close to them. In my case I spent the entire first class and part of the second saying ," look at me, look at me" and rewarding any glace I got, even if it meant getting in the way between him and his line of sight with the other dogs.

When on walks he wears a prong collar and we just calmly cross the street and walk on by. I don't stop or make a big deal about it. He is three now, and much better. Sometimes I reward a good pass-by with a chance to sit and watch the other dog from a distance, if he is calm. Basically he is just curious about the other dog.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Banned

How long have you had the dog and did you spend anytime training him??? Your dog sounds like a pretty typically untrained dog. That's not a criticism just an observation. You did need to be able to walk him first. Best done in area free of distractions.
When you can do that well ... then you could focus on the other dog thing.

Have a look here for suggestions. : https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

Got more that's a start.

If you do want to send him to a "Board and Train" ... nothing wrong with that, they will do the heavy lifting and transfer what they do to you. If you give your location ... City and State ... someone here my have local recommendations.

Welcome aboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Crowned Member

He isn't listening to you. Don't do board and train. They will train him, send him back home and he still won't pay attention to you. You need to learn how to handle him yourself. You want to build a bond and a connection. Find a good trainer locally.
Mudypoz likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Crowned Member

Obedience is or is not. It isn't a negotiation.
If your dog listens except or until you need to stop lying to yourself. Go back to basics. Sit stay come.
Send your dog away? I wouldnt but if thats your deal make sure you research and check references. Some real horror stories.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

Wow! He looks identical to my show line!

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page