Halt when being recalled - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Halt when being recalled

Do you have any tips on getting my dog to halt when he is coming back to me when called? I can get Wylie (almost 4 years old) to stop running towards me at about 30 feet away, but them he creeps forward step by step. He REALLY wants to get close.
Davep61 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Elite Member

Is this for formal competition? I usually give the down command and he downs. I can say "stay" and he stops moving. Or I says sit, and he stops moving and sits.

I think if the dog knows his commands and knows there are repercussions for not following them, he will do as you command.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:11 PM

Start closer to him at first,just a few feet away.Add distance gradually.It's hard for them when they really just want to come to youDon't forget to praise the heck out of him every time!
Another thing that helps is to teach a moving down or stand as he's heeling.It acclimates them to stop quickly.Have fun!
cliffson1 and wolfy dog like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:18 PM
Crowned Member

Look up foot targets or platform training
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Start closer to him at first,just a few feet away.Add distance gradually.It's hard for them when they really just want to come to youDon't forget to praise the heck out of him every time!
Another thing that helps is to teach a moving down or stand as he's heeling.It acclimates them to stop quickly.Have fun!
This worked for Deja perfectly. I just call her name and she comes for that always, then I tell her "Down" or "Sit" when she is on her way to me at an unpredictable distance. I use "Here!" for the recall and never stop her then as I want her solid on this everytime.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

No this isn't for competition. I'm just keeping his mind busy!
Thanks for the ideas.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Master Member

Denise Fenzi has the philosophy of "what's more than...?" What's more than stopping when cued to in a recall? Backing up. When you cue the halt, have him back up a few steps. He can't creep forward if he's going backwards.

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

We started on this a few days ago after seeing your thread I thought I'd try it. My working line male is a crack up, he hits the ground like he's sliding into home plate.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
I'm a bad owner lately and haven't been working on this, but we've been working a moving down or stand. We've also been working a drop on recall from a short distance. Both approaches have worked for us, allowing for the fact that I haven't been terribly consistent with working obedience lately.
dogma13 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:42 PM

Saying sit or wait will get my dogs ass directly to the ground no matter where he is. Wait works as sit and stay in one word since I use it when he leaves his kennel and in and out of doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page