Help needed with GSD training. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By zetti
  • 1 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Misha111

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Help needed with GSD training.

We have a 3 year old German Shepherd. He has grown up around small children his entire life (we have had a baby in the house every year of his life, including toddlers, etc), but doesn't seem to be aware of them at all and will plow right through them (especially when he is outdoors, or my husband is present). The kids aren't even allowed outside with him anymore because he WILL knock them over eventually and I can't risk it. What can I do about this behavior? Is there anyway to STOP him from ignoring them completely? We usually make him lye down when he's around them because he WILL bump into them and he's a big boy compared to them, but is there ANY other way? I would love it if he could eventually just walk calmly through the house or yard... or am I asking too much? Is he just wired to be go-go-go at all times?

Another one... he FREAKS out whenever he sees another dog while he's on leash. What to do here? We have tried dog parks, but he ends up getting SUPER excited barking, yelping, whining, etc. He is VERY vocal..

And last but not least, he gets insanely excited whenever he sees my husband, spins around like crazy and ignores everything in his path.. If he pets him he calms down, but the moment his hand isn't touching him anymore he does it again! Again, he'll plow through anything to GET to my husband.. Jumps over gates, etc. Something he DOESN'T do when he's not around..

If anyone can help and offer some training advise, I would appreciate it!!! I NEED to work on these things with him IMMEDIATELY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Elite Member

It sounds like your dog needs some good, solid obedience training. GSDs all benefit from training and you will be able to get control over your dog's behavior with good training. He can't be carry on like a maniac if he's busy doing a down for you.

Do find a trainer who understands the breed. If you have a GSD club or IPO club in your area, I would contact them for a referral.
car2ner likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:25 PM

I'd skip the dog parks completely. My two don't dog park at all but we do plenty of walks in the park. Other than that I agree with Zetti. someone who can see what is going on is very helpful. You'll need someone who is not afraid of giving the dog fair corrections. You furry frenzy needs to learn to take No for an answer and then what he can do instead. For instance, No, you can't go visit with that other dog but if you walk right past him and look at me afterwards, you get this super yummy treat! Or a quick game of tug. You know someone is training their German Shepherd when you see them walking down the street with a slobbery tug toy tucked in their back pocket.
zetti likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:29 PM

Agree that your boy needs some good training, he needs something to think about, work at. At the moment it sounds like he is doing what works for him but is a real pain for you. I wonder how much time you have been able to give him as you have had babies every year of his life, I have had babies and GSD's and it's really hard work finding time for them all. And bored GSD's tend to find their own way to amuse themselves.
car2ner likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, guys! I'll admit I haven't had a lot of time to spend with him one-on-one. When we purchased him 3 years ago, he was supposed to be my husband's dog, but he has less time than I do to spend with him! Now that our kids are getting older, I have more extra time to spend with him and work with him.

Is it possible for me to skip the trainer and do it myself? Or does it sound like he really needs a trainer?

Another issue I have with him is he won't stop eating his own poop. I've given him chew toys, a KONG, etc. but he always ends up eating it (I try to let him out and leave him alone for a VERY short duration due to this (less than 5 minutes at times!), but he still manages to get a hold of it..). He's been checked out by the Vet and is in great health, and I have tried a supplement of some sort that was supposed to stop him from eating it, but it didn't work at all. He has had this problem since we brought him home from the breeder 3 years ago, and the breeder told us he would outgrow it and it's just a puppy phase, but he has NOT outgrown it, and we have discouraged it over and over again. I thought he was doing it because he was bored, but even on days where I have played with him, kept him around me the entire day, worked with him, etc. he'll go outside to do his business and end up eating some of it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page