How to teach my dog to control himself around balls? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Kazel
  • 1 Post By Galathiel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

How to teach my dog to control himself around balls?

Hello everyone , my dog is ball crazy and i want to teach him to be able understand and follow commands even when i throw the balls for him to chase.I am gonna give an example because i know my english are bad (sorry about that).Let's say i have a ball and i throw it and say fetch it to him , he will run and go to bring it to me.But i want to take it up a notch and give the command sit/down(or come so he comes back to me) while he goes after the ball(midway) , how do i make him listen to me?When im holding a ball i am "god" to him , when i throw it i am ignored , even if i have another ball in my hand.So basically my question is ---> how do you teach a dog to ignore his FAVOURITE thing and listen to you?If you still didnt understand me i am gonna give one more example.I have a spiky ball in my hand that my dog loves more than anything (even food or other toys) and a normal ball that he likes , then i throw the normal ball and say fetch he runs but he knows that i still have that other spiky ball , so he is easy to control just by saying "i have your ball and then give the command i want (sit/down/come)" , what happens when i throw his favourite toy??How do i make him hear me and obey commands while ignoring his favourite thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:42 PM

I'd start by having a long leash on our dog, that way he can't take the ball too far away. You use the leash to recall the dog and when he Outs the ball, toss it again, just not far away. Perhaps high so he can jump and catch and then he won't be too far away for you to bring him back with the leash. I'm talking a very long long leash so even if he does run, you can just step on the end of leash and reel him back in. He should learn that the fun comes from playing ball with you, not running off with the ball. When he gets to the point of bringing the ball back and maybe even shoving it at you to toss, then you can start adding other commands that are rewarded with a ball toss.
jaspar likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I'd start by having a long leash on our dog, that way he can't take the ball too far away. You use the leash to recall the dog and when he Outs the ball, toss it again, just not far away. Perhaps high so he can jump and catch and then he won't be too far away for you to bring him back with the leash. I'm talking a very long long leash so even if he does run, you can just step on the end of leash and reel him back in. He should learn that the fun comes from playing ball with you, not running off with the ball. When he gets to the point of bringing the ball back and maybe even shoving it at you to toss, then you can start adding other commands that are rewarded with a ball toss.
Ill work with that , thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:11 PM

My dog Codi loves playing fetch so I use it to help teach commands. If your dog won't listen you may have to start with a leash.
Basically Codi has release commands and such. So until I say her release command she is not allowed to go get her ball.
I make her either sit or lay down while I am throwing the ball and she has to stay sitting or laying down for as long as I have her lay or sit down. (usually not very long at all)
I'll alternate sometimes have her sit and lay down multiple times before she can go get the ball.
If she breaks and goes after the ball I either yell at her No, and have her come back or will go get her and put the ball down and come back to where we were. You don't have to worry about that if you have a leash.
Basically just teach him he can't have the ball unless he does what you want him to.
jaspar likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Knighted Member

I'm not sure how old your dog is, but what I did was work up to giving the dogs commands while he was running after the ball. First, I threw the ball and required the dog to sit until I told him to get the ball. We added downs, speak, "around" (circling around me), look at me. Once he got used to having to listen to me, it became easier to give commands after he was sent after the ball. Maybe start with throwing the ball, giving a command, then sending him to fetch, As soon as he's about 3 feet away, give another command (I actually also use "stop" to mean, literally "stop running"). He will get there!
jaspar likes this.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page